VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got a CEL light these days and today I checked the car for codes. This is what I found:
5 Faults Found:
17549 - Load Calculation Cross Check: Implausible Value
P1141 - 35-00 - -
17573 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air Bank 1: Range 1: System too Rich
P1165 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17560 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air Bank 1: Range 2: System too Lean
P1152 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16826 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Small Leak
P0442 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16990 - Internal Control Module: Processor Fault
P0606 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
I don't know how to interpret them and the last code P0606 gives me some worries . If any of you guys know how to interpret them please give me an answer.
My friends car is a Jetta 2.slow ( 2001) with automatic tranny. As we are speaking the engine runs smooth, no issues.( did the tune-up, OEM spark plugs and wires, filters ( air-fuel), etc).
Thanks a lot !!

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: CEL, Codes, help please!! (DUBB4LIFE)

* VW DTC 16826 (P0442) - EVAP Emission Control System (small leak) Leak Detected
* VW DTC 16990 (P0606) - ECM / PCM Processor - Internal Control Module: Processor Fault
* VW DTC 17549 (P1141) - Load Calculation Cross Check Range/Per
* VW DTC 17560 (P1152) - Bank1, Long Term Fuel Trim, Range 2 Leanness Lower Limit Exceeded
* VW DTC 17573 (P1165) - Bank1, Long Term Fuel Trim, Range 1 Rich Limit Exceeded formance

Ok, lets walk through these one by one.
First, the EVAP leak could be either at the purge solenoid which is at the passenger side strut tower underneath the hood...
Or there's a cut EVAP line underneath the car; usually the result of running something over.
Track the lines; they are easy to spot and detect issues.
Second the processor fault code is related to lack of power to the ECU.
During the tune-up did you remove power from the car?
If not, check battery leads and grounds on the chassis.
For the cross check load calculation, the ECU is seeing a discrepency between the user input of throttle, and what the car is trying to do.
That could mean either the Throttle Pedal Pontentimeter is starting to become faulty, or the throttle body actuator is faulty.
That can be checked through a VAG-COM; data-log those items.
And then the long time fuel trim issues are more likely due to a failing MAF.
Again, data-log the flow rates through a 2nd gear pull from idle to redline.
- Erik

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a lot Erik, just one question ..how could I measure with the VAG-COM the throttle pedal potentiometer or the TB actuator?..where should I go ..which block ( ex..measuring bloks, setting blocks, etc).For the MAF sensor I don't understand how to put it in second gear since the car is automatic. Once again thanks indeed for those infos and if you can respond to these questions I'll appreciate in a big way ..since I'm getting bored about that CEL that comes every other day
-Mario-

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: (DUBB4LIFE)

Quote, originally posted by DUBB4LIFE »
...how could I measure with the VAG-COM the throttle pedal potentiometer or the TB actuator?..where should I go ..which block ( ex..measuring bloks, setting blocks, etc).

Use the following measuring blocks:
* http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-c....html
For the MAF sensor I don't understand how to put it in second gear since the car is automatic.

Do you have Tiptronic? If so, place it in 2nd manually and then data-log Block 002 from as slow as possible to redline.
- Erik

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: (DUBB4LIFE)

The car is a automatic and not Tippy.

Can you place the car in a gear override?
On the console there's P-R-N-D-2(?)-1(?), correct?
- Erik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.