VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2.0L '94 Jetta GL, had the catalytic convert and oxygen sensors replaced to pass reinspection, but the CEL keeps flickering, without any apparent trouble codes from the car's computer, anyone have any ideas why the light is flickering?
I notice as I increase the engine's RPMs, the light flickers more dimly.

·
Banned
23,872 Posts
Re: CEL Flickers Consistently (Ls3)

a flickering check engine light...usually REALLY is telling you to CHECK THE ENGINE. lol....if the cel stays on without flashing .....its just the normal bs codes or twitch...
but if its flickering/flashing...i would check it out on vag,double check it ...look at everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: CEL Flickers Consistently (WRC Dorikin)

quote:[HR][/HR]a flickering check engine light...usually REALLY is telling you to CHECK THE ENGINE. lol....if the cel stays on without flashing .....its just the normal bs codes or twitch...
but if its flickering/flashing...i would check it out on vag,double check it ...look at everything.[HR][/HR]​
Well, I've been to two different shops and the reports came out clean

·
Banned
23,872 Posts

well then go down the list and manually check every little thing...from your oil to your fuel filter to random sensors....
bottom line flickering cel light is one of two things....SOMETHING serious OR the bulb is going to blow out soon lol

·
Banned
23,872 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]

Had so much planned for the Jetta, heh, have to get rid of this damned light[HR][/HR]​
lol like i said ...could be something serious or nothing...
just do various tests on your car...check all vital parts and sensors.....just make sure everything is running properly...

·
Premium Member
35,022 Posts
Re: CEL Flickers Consistently (lowblackdub)

i used to get on again, off again (but not flashing or buzzing) CEL's on the vr cuz of the cam position sensor. after i replaced it everything was happy again.
~spoonie

·
Registered
856 Posts

Is it flickering like a random flickering? That might be a bad bulb or a bad ground for the light. My airbag light flickers because of a bad ground.
If it's a controlled, pre-programmed ltype of flicker - that probably means something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: CEL Flickers Consistently (MoTown-VW)

It flickers too fast to notice, at times, and really gets dim when I work the engine up. But it doesn't seem to be blinking at a set rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.