VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently did a mini-experiment because I was having issues with an intake manifold flap error.
About a month ago I got a few intermittent CELs over the course of 2 weeks. They were all the same flap error, but the car was driving fine so I pretty much ignored it.
The last 3 weeks I have been running stock programming to check to see if the light would stop coming on. It didn't come on once in a little over 3 weeks running the stock program.
On Monday I switched back to the APR 93 program and the CEL came on this morning on the way to work. I have searched and know a little about the Intake Flap error, but can anyone explain why it would come on with APR programming and not with stock software? Is my flap actually sticking or is it just a random error since the light always goes off and the car drives fine?
For the record: I am not blaming APR. I love the product but I am trying to figure out what is causing this problem.
Thanks for any help.

Modified by aeproberts21 at 1:06 PM 10-16-2008

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (rbradleymedmd)

I should be up to date on software. I went to the dealer around April to get the latest OY and was re-flashed by APR (at NGP) soon after.
It is possible that it is just a coincidence that it did not occur on stock programming. It was not very scientific. I would try it again, but then I have to drive around without my software

Am I doing any damage? Or is this one of those intermittent CELS to just ignore unless it starts happening alot.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
isn't there a TSB for the intake flap motor... i know a few people who have had them replaced...

·
Vendor
21,114 Posts
FV-QR

Sometimes things that dont pop up in stock mode happen when you are chipped since the threshold for error has lessened.
It's kinda like a fat guy running vs walking. He may be able to walk around all day just fine, fat, and dandy but as soon as he starts running he throws up. If he was healthy and thin to begin with, he could run around all day and not throw up, but since he's out of shape and is now pushing it, he's puking all over the place. ... or not really like that at all. lol.
Check out this TSB:
http://www.goapr.com/images/su...b.pdf

Modified by [email protected] at 1:51 PM 10-16-2008

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
FV-QR

I know it rarely happens, but Arin...is it possible for the OP to have received the updated software from VW, but possibly NGP flashed an older version of the APR software. I'm not sure as to if APR pulls the older files from the server or not, so I'm not sure if this is even a possibility. Also, OP...if you have the correct up to date VW software and APR software, and your still tripping this CEL for the intake flap motor, I believe the motor is to be replaced by VW (probably stated in the TSB linked above).
PS. Arin, that analogy above cracked me up man.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: FV-QR (rbradleymedmd)

I'm not chipped with APR, but I did have the CEL and motor flap crap stuff...
Anyways...
- I was chipped with Unitronic...
- Got the OY update flash by error by the dealer (they forgot I was chipped.... and paid for my reflash
)
- got reflash with Unitronic OY updated file
- got a CEL 6 months later
- got flash back to stock by the dealer (part of the TSB sequence)
- next day (literally the next start-up), CEL comes back
- motor flap replaced by dealer
- reflash by Unitronic....
- No more CEL yet ( 6 months)
I had the CEL come up on stock and chipped within a couple of miles...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: FV-QR ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Sometimes things that dont pop up in stock mode happen when you are chipped since the threshold for error has lessened.
It's kinda like a fat guy running vs walking. He may be able to walk around all day just fine, fat, and dandy but as soon as he starts running he throws up. If he was healthy and thin to begin with, he could run around all day and not throw up, but since he's out of shape and is now pushing it, he's puking all over the place. ... or not really like that at all. lol.
Check out this TSB:
http://www.goapr.com/images/su...b.pdf

Modified by [email protected] at 1:51 PM 10-16-2008

Thanks for the laugh and the link.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: FV-QR (aeproberts21)

Quote, originally posted by aeproberts21 »
Also: Am I doing damage to my car when this happens? The light always goes off after a day or so.

No damage...just some poor gas mileage most likely. But nothing that can be detrimental to the car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.