VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 2.0 GTI with the cel on but the car seems to run fine and a vw mechanic told me that the error code had to do with the emissions system, so I'm guessing it's the oxygen sensor. Can anyone tell me how many sensors my car has? Is it 1 or 2? Any advice on fixing this problem? I need to sell this car so I need to fix this problem ASAP. Thanks.

[Modified by KonigGTI, 8:04 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Banned
5,873 Posts
Re: CEL on - oxygen sensors? How many do I have? (KonigGTI)

could be anything.....

not necessarily the o2.
take it to some place that has a VAG scan tool and get the code checked, and reset. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
Re: CEL on - oxygen sensors? How many do I have? (VolkSchnell-GTI)

OBDII 2.0L engines have two ox sensors one B4 and one after the cat converter. These puppies are like $130-150 each so make sure the DTC read out tells you which sensor, if any is giving out bad signals. Ol single wire sensors for CIS were less than $30 so if you changed one out that didn't need to be changed was no big loss, but anything over $100, I sure don't like to change out parts that are still good! OBDII standard codes are required by the Feds to list bad sensors so they should be able to tell you exactly what's defective, not just something vague like "emissions system problems".

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: CEL on - oxygen sensors? How many do I have? (VolkSchnell-GTI)

If I figure out what the problem is and fix it myself will the light reset itself, or will I still need a computer to reset it?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: CEL on - oxygen sensors? How many do I have? (spitpilot)

Run the diagnostics off the computer yourself (instructions on Bentley).
To get the new 02 sensor (s) try www.oxygensensors.com You can reset it with the key and the jumper needed to run the diagnostics...

[Modified by mexwagen, 12:17 PM 11-27-2001]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts