VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... what is the down and dirty on these? What are the best years? What sucks about ownership?
They are cheaper than a Prelude, and I've never driven one. I'm going to try to find one this weekend to toss around, but that has proven difficult.

· Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (sgrassbaugh)

Different car, yes, better... I don't know yet. I did find an '00 GT-S about 2 miles from my place that I'm going to drive tomorrow. Then I'll see. So far though, I like what I'm seeing, especially silver.

Modified by Samson at 7:45 PM 9-13-2005

· Registered
42,970 Posts
Re: Celica GT-S (Samson)

The early ones (before 2003) actually have some reliability quirks related to the valvetrain. The "lift bolts" break - I think it's a part related to the VVTLi actuator. There's a TSB about it. They're simple to replace before they break. Use it as a bargaining chip if they haven't been replaced.

· Registered
164 Posts
Re: Celica GT-S (Rennwagen)

As soon as I saw this thread I had to post.
I owned a 2000 Celica GTS, which was the first year it was produced. When it was first introduced it got more attention from people than I was used to. Then a few months later every secretary and sorriety girl had one.
On the plus side, the car was a gokart. Best handling front drive car I have ever been in. And since it was a first year model, it revved to 8250 and had the shorter shift gates both of which were changed later due to people mis-shifting and blowing their engines.
The car was bulletproof, all it needed was an AEM intake and the TRD ehaust and it sounded like an F1 car when the second cam lobe kicked in.
On the down side, all the interior lights are mis-matched, some green, others orange. Cool looking seats with no real bolstering. Try to get the cloth over the leather to help in this regard.
The only reason I still don't have it was that I injured my back and could no longer get into the car, so thats why I now have the R32.
BTW-Thanks Renn, that cracked me up.

· Registered
10,211 Posts
Re: Celica GT-S (Jon Like Wh0a)

Quote, originally posted by Jon Like Wh0a »
prelude > corolla......but i guess my opinion doesn't count

wtf, a CELICA is in question, maybe he doesn't want a 'lude.
I also did not know that this car was 2500lbs!!!

Modified by SSjetta at 8:21 AM 9-14-2005

· Registered
12,718 Posts
Re: Celica GT-S (SSjetta)

Quote, originally posted by SSjetta »
wtf, a CELICA is in question, maybe he doesn't want a 'lude.

Although that was probably a typo, the Celica does share a lot with the Corolla.

· Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Celica GT-S (3Wheelin_GTI)

Thanks for the info.
Mismatched lighting? Like what parts? Little thing, but that kind of stuff gets to me.
The inside reminds me a lot of the IS. Similar wheel, similar pedals, similar buttons... kind of neat.

I am most definitely considering a Prelude, and currently that is what I want to find, but the Celica sounds like a lot of fun for not much money.

· Registered
2,795 Posts
Re: Celica GT-S (crazy88)

it's a toyota, so of course it's a great car, but if you want performance, the vvt engine isn't the greatest as it has no guts or torque unless you run it as hard as you can, then you feel a little kick around 6500rpm. less of a power band than even a honda b16.. and the gears are extremely short(to keep those revs up) if power and speed aren't the biggest priorities, they're great on gas, VERy reliable, easy to work on, and sound fairly cool too http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to toyota

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.