VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about the removal process of the center differential. I have a 2000 Audi A4 Quattro Tiptronic 2.8. I don't want to do the whole trans removal or any of that stuff. I'm thinking it might be possible to remove the exhaust, front driveshaft section with carrier, lower the rear part of the front subframe and unbolt the center diff.

1) Has anyone does this and can confirm that this is possible?

2) Will any ATF fluid leak out this way or does the housing from the front diff and shaft seal hold that in?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I went about at it. I removed the subframe brackets with a jack and wood on the transmission. Loosened exhausted (mine was broken at the muffler so if yours is a solid piece you might have to figure out to get it to hang more or cut it), disconnect driveshaft from trans, and lower everything including the jack to get the angle to the bolts. If I remember correctly there's 3 short bolts and 8 long t40 bolts. Make sure to tap the bit with a hammer so that u don't strip the bolts. Once they're all removed you might need to tap the casing off. I did use a metal hammer and broke a corner off the case but that diff was going to scrap so I didn't care. Installation is reverse and torque to 25ft lbs. Sorry no pics as I wasn't intending to write this out.

BTW there are similar bolts that hold the front diff on as well. U kinda have to look for the separation of the center diff (or rear most casing line) and feel or see if u can for those bolts.

Pic below is the center diff but it's upside down. U can kinda see where the bolts would be.

I can try to help as much as I can

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts