VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its been discussed briefly, but I also have the center diffuser rattle. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the plastic grill and sent me home. Needless to say the rattle is still there. The dealer wasn't very helpful considering they didn't even know the MKV had a center diffuser and I physically had to show him that it in fact did.
Has anyone been able to successfully fix this rattle?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: Center Diffuser Rattle (jennythejetta)

Quote, originally posted by jennythejetta »
Yea, I read that someone replaced the front vent and not the center diffuser...but my rattle clearly comes from the top of the dash. Its a terribly annoying noise!

I'm betting that it doesn't come from the top like you think. When I removed my dash for my stereo install, I could tell why I thought my rattle was coming from the top. The way the vents are designed it's easy to think that. There is something loose in the back of those vents that's causing the rattle. The back of those vents are pretty much under that top piece.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Center Diffuser Rattle (curraheevw)

I think you have a point...sounds like something is definitely loose back there because I was actually on pretty smooth roads today and the thing was going crazy. Any tips on how to get back there without breaking anything?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My service manager stated that he gets 3+ complaints on it a day...and that he doesn't believe that it will ever get fixed.
I am just going to fix it myself. Mine is that little "sensor cover" on the front side of the diffuser. When I hear the rattle, I can reach up there and hold it and the rattle will stop. Looks like I am going to glue that beeotch down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: (NewVWGuy1)

I had the same problem but had mine fixed. It was a problem with a clip that was hitting plastic. If you pushed on the sensor it stopped, but the sensor on top actually wasnt the problem. I'll get my paperwork out and write exactly what they did when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: Center Diffuser Rattle (jennythejetta)

Quote, originally posted by jennythejetta »
I think you have a point...sounds like something is definitely loose back there because I was actually on pretty smooth roads today and the thing was going crazy. Any tips on how to get back there without breaking anything?

Getting the dash apart is really easy. I still haven't been able to fix mine. On the plus side it hasn't been rattling lately. I don't know if it's stopped or if I've just gotten use to it.
Here is a link to removing the dash... Dension Removal Instructions | Enfig Removal Instructions

Modified by curraheevw at 3:00 PM 12-18-2005

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: (NewVWGuy1)

well.. i figured out the problem! the rattling from my center console actually came from the fan control dial for the climatronic system! if you tap on the outer dial ring a little near the top center where the dial ring meets the metal looking ring, you can clearly replicate the noise. in fact, all three dial of the climatronic makes that noise! but on my car only the center dial gives off noise while driving. my solution is to wrap a rubber band to the inner side of the dial ring where the ring meets the plastic dash part. this completely elimated the rattling!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.