Clarion VRX 765VD
Clarion DVH 940 Sound Processor
Front System Focal Utopia 165W
Rear system Focal 165K2
Front amp Sinfoni 90.2
Fear amp Xetec G600
Center Speaker-Not chosen yet
Center Speaker Amp-Not chosen yet
I would like to install a center speaker but I have not found an easy answer to the location. I compete in the European Mobile Music Association. I saw a friends A4 and on the dashboard he has the vent for the windshield and an integrated center speaker grill. I would like to use the same piece for my install but does anyone have a pic of whats behind the dash of a 2000 Jetta VR6? Or any recommendations for the centr speaker besides inside a vent for a clarion/alpine din sized speaker?

· Registered
5,386 Posts
Re: Center Speaker Installation (Notabora2)

Why do you want a center speaker besides to "one up" your friend? does the league you compete in judge 5.1 sound or just sound quality? If it's sound quality, you can completely avoid the center channel and just do a better install.

· Registered
5,104 Posts
Re: Center Speaker Installation (pwnt by pat)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
ive looked at your webpage, and i dont doubt its because youre going for 5.1, but i think if its for SQ, you really really dont want a center channel.

· Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Center Speaker Installation (afinley)

Well to answer your questions, Its for three reasons. In this order
1. To have the best sound I can for my personal enjoyment.
2. to compete in competetions......and yes they have many categories. In April 2004, I place 1st in ESPL and 6 in rookie unlimited.
3. I always look for improvement. I dont want to be the guy with the lame Jetta. I would like to learn and try to make things better.
Why do you say what I am doing is not for SQ? Is it because of the pics on my web? The pics are not complete but do show a little of what I am doing? The components I have installed are upper class......for my price category/budget. I will be moving the front tweets to the A-pillars and would like the center speaker to be conservative. The JL's are great but are far from the best part of my system. I love the Sinfoni on the Focal Utopia's. I love them.
The center speaker is for the Multimedia class in the Emma Competition.
P.S. I got the Clarion HU and the DSP at a steal.
http://www.emmanet.com/Intro.htm
Look at the bottom of the page. It has links to the Emma rules in English

· Registered
5,104 Posts

i guess if you were asking about me, i would say its not for SQ because you dont want two sets of speakers on your right and one on your left (or vice versa if your car is RHD, i cant remember now)
i wasnt trying to knock anything youre thinking of, i just dont think the center channel will help.
in a home stereo, it helps with the "phantom center" of the stereo image, but in a car, you sit so far offset it would only work to muddy everything up. that is unless you were listening to a 5.1 program material, like a dvd or sa-cd.
and i think the emma thing is cool. i didnt go to the link, but i have their comp material from 2005.

· Registered
5,104 Posts

to build on your original question:
i too have wondered what the heck is under our dash. i am very jealous of beetle people because their dashes are three seperate pieces of hard plastics. its easy as crap to put speakers in there, and the windshield curves for you just right.
the jettas on the other hand... that insulated foam crap. you cant screw stuff to that! and how thick is it?
how much is 1 din? an inch? a know its a whole number, i cant remember if its one or two. either way, hi-vi has both 1 and 2 inch drivers. you could wire up your own center channel in the cubby. if its two inches, say 2 2inch drivers and 1 for a "tweeter" (i mean, theyre all pretty much tweeters at that size) and they do look pretty cool.

· Registered
5,386 Posts
Re: Center Speaker Installation (afinley)

like material thickness of the top piece of the dash?
dunno. I still need to take some time and figure out how to get it off to fix my vin plate from squeaking all the damn time.
If I had to guess, though, I'd say it's around 1" thick...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.