VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm definitely picking up a new vehicle this week, fingers crossed. Anyways, anyone have any input on certified vs non certified used cars? The one that I'm looking is not certified; the basic warranty has expired but the powertrain warranty is good for quite some time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Quick edit: A similarlly priced certified vehicle would be arournd $3000 more. Thanks

Modified by FlyRoccoFly at 10:23 PM 5-17-2004

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Certified vs non-certified used vehicles...is it worth the price? (FlyRoccoFly)

Quote, originally posted by FlyRoccoFly »
Well I'm definitely picking up a new vehicle this week, fingers crossed. Anyways, anyone have any input on certified vs non certified used cars? The one that I'm looking is not certified; the basic warranty has expired but the powertrain warranty is good for quite some time.
Quick edit: A similarlly priced certified vehicle would be arournd $3000 more. Thanks

More information needed. Who is selling the non-certified vehicle? Only a new car dealer of that make can certify the vehicle, so it is possible that the non-certified one may not be certified because it cannot be (private party or a car dealer that is not a new car dealer of that make).
On the other hand, if it is at a new car dealer who has others of the same kind of vehicle that are certified, you have to wonder why this one isn't, especially given the stories about how problem vehicles still slip through the certification process (i.e. an uncertified vehicle in this case may have serious problems).
Either way, be sure to get all maintenance records. Other threads have indicated that missing maintenance records can increase the risk of denial of warranty service.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Certified vs non-certified used vehicles...is it worth the price? (tjl)

Thanks for the advice; sorry, I should have included that info...
Ye' ole non-certified car is up for sale by a dealership which does not sell the make new. It was a trade in to the dealershi. I have checked Car-Fax and no probs and the price matches up with what it's worth.

I have priced similar certified vehiciles and they are priced roughly $3000 above the before mentioned non-certified vehicle. The certified warranty is 2year/24K miles.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Re: Certified vs non-certified used vehicles...is it worth the price? (tjl)

depends on the car too. my last car was a certified a4. i paid probably about a 1500 dollar premium on the car. in the year i had it, i had over 2000 dollars in warranty repair work done for a minimal deductible fee (50 bucks each time). so it definitely paid for itself. i planned on keeping the car for a few years, but going back to school changed that......but since the warranty was transferable, i was able to get a lot more than i would have been able to if it had not been certified with 2 more years of warranty on it.
it's definitely worth it, especially if the car is a few years old.
and what kind of car is it? is it a factory certification, or just a dealership warranty? that could definitely make a difference too.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Re: Certified vs non-certified used vehicles...is it worth the price? (FlyRoccoFly)

it can depend. when i was working at a bmw dealership, almost every bimmer had a list of issues that needed to be cleared up before they could be certified. same goes with the land rovers, saabs, mb's and jags. the volvos seemed to need much less, though once in awhile there'd be one with a list of fixin.
when we'd sell other brand cars on the used lot like, say, an s2000, a wrx, or anything toyota there would be almost nothing they needed besides the oil change and brake inspection. the vw's were usually in good shape too. audi's always needed something unless it was a TT, which usually didn't.
a certified car should not command a $3K premium though. that's asking way too much. $1K to mayyyybe $2K all else considered equal should be fair.
why wouldn't a dealership certify a particular car? well, sometimes it's not worth it. i.e. when we'd get an XC90 on the used lot (it happened a couple times) the resale was so good, they were almost selling for what they did new. they'd have like 5K miles on them, and to certify a car costs the dealership around $1K, which would eat pretty much the whole margin on that car so it's not worth it. some cars are outside of the parameters, like age and mileage. maybe some cars are such heaps that the dealer doesn't want to certify it, but if they can, it's advertizement and incentive all by ittself so they probably would.

Modified by yo vanilla at 10:36 PM 5-17-2004

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Certified vs non-certified used vehicles...is it worth the price? (yo vanilla)

2001 Jetta GLS TDI......Buy it & I'll kick your butt!!!

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FlyRoccoFly »
Thanks for the advice; sorry, I should have included that info...
Ye' ole non-certified car is up for sale by a dealership which does not sell the make new. It was a trade in to the dealershi. I have checked Car-Fax and no probs and the price matches up with what it's worth.

I have priced similar certified vehiciles and they are priced roughly $3000 above the before mentioned non-certified vehicle. The certified warranty is 2year/24K miles.

The non-certified one is certainly worth a look. Of course, take it to a mechanic of your choice for an inspection and compare the maintenance records with the checklist in the owner's manual. $3000 for a two year / 24,000 miles warranty seems to be quite steep.
Note that Carfax is mainly a title search. Mechanical problems, crashes that do not result in a total loss, and the like may not show up. You may be able to get the warranty and recall history of the vehicle from its VIN by asking a new car dealer of its make.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts