Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

stance...

or dance? ;)

NEW front

IMG_7963 by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

IMG_7923 by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

-----------

Hello Vortex :wave:

I figured I'd start a timeline to keep track of what all the GTI and I have been through.

2007 GTI
Factory Packages/Options:
-Candy White
-Anthracite Leather
-Package 2: sunroof, satellite radio, 6-disc CD changer, AUX jack, heated front seats, dual zone Climatronic and cold weather package
-6 speed manual :heart:
-17 Denver wheels
-Gorilla Gear trunk mat

Changes -

Interior:
New South Performance vent mount boost gauge
Custom machined shift knob from Vortex user slomk5
Euro switch
GTI Monster Mats
deAutokey LED interior kit
DoubleApex momentary horn button
OEM Euro dash tray
Nardi steering wheel w/ MOMO Hub adapter

Exterior:
In.Pro clear tails from Germany
Hella dark cherry tails
Color matched Candy White Golf GT upper grille (for GTI bumper)
Wolfsburg lower grilles (for GTI bumper)
Color matched side markers (for GTI bumper)
Yellow FTP bulbs
Rear wiper delete
Euro fog active
Shaved Rabbit bumper w/ 5 bar grilles, + OEM Votex lip
Projector fogs
deAutokey LED license plate lights
Helix LED Euro tails (gone)

Engine/drivetrain/etc:
Evoms Vflow Intake
Revo Stage 2 tune
R8 red top coil packs
Upgraded revision D diverter valve
Full 3' turbo back exhaust; catless downpipe to Magnaflow catback (resonator deleted)
ECS Dogbone mount insert
TT-RS short shifter
42 Draft Designs solid shifter bushings
VF Engineering engine and trans mounts
Tiguan noise pipe delete
ECS Tuning pendulum mount
Windshield fluid reservoir neck deleted
Oil filler neck deleted
HPA K04 turbo
HPA intake manifold V2
HPA ecu tune - stage 3 - with OBD dongle
S3 Injectors
Autotech HPFP internals

Suspension:
Airlift Performance Series struts, front and rear with ALP rear shocks
Airlift 3P management
5 gallon skinny tank, raw finish
VIAR stealth 444c compressor
27mm Hotchkiss rear sway bar
ECS aluminum front control arms w/ poly bushings
NGP Type I Coilovers (gone)

Wheels:
Mercedes Alphards - painted Candy White
- 18x8.5et35 front w/ 205/40R18 Nitto NeoGen
- 18x9.5et40 rear w/ 215/40R18 Nitto NeoGen
BBS CH (013)
- 18x8 et38 square set
- wrapped in 215/40R18 Bridgestone RE71R :heart:
BBS LM
- 18x8 et40 square set (face mounted)
- centers powder coated "sleet gold"
- brushed lips w/ gloss clear
- red center caps
- BBS lip decals
Klutch SL14 wheels (gone)
B5 S4 Avus wheels (gone)

Misc:
Kleinn 130 series train horn
VagCom windows up/down via key remote
VagCom DRL's off
VagCom rear fog light
OEM base bars

The day I laid eyes on her

Last July (2012) I was driving downtown on my way into work when this car caught my eye. It was sitting on a local credit union's repo lot. So I decided to stop by later that day and check it out. I immediately checked to see if it was a 6 speed, then looked over the body and undercarriage. A little wary of the fact it was repo'd, it seemed to be a solid car and taken care of..beside the trashed Denver's. After countless phone calls and negotiating I drove it off the lot on July 31st with 66,xxx miles.

Since the stock Denvers were curbed to sh*t and back and needed tires I decided to pick up some 18' OEM Huffs with tires to get me passed inspection

Up next was getting rid of the stock tails. I found these dark cherry DriverGear tails

Yellow FTP bulbs put in

IMG_7523 by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

At H2O I picked up a EVOMS V-flo intake. Which sounds awesome paired with the upgraded Rev D diverter valve

Then a little rumble was added with the removal of the resonator

And then I installed a dogbone mount insert

Next was coils. FK Streetlines seemed to be well-known on the MKV platform. Being in college and on a budget, I sourced a set in the classifieds with low miles. Or so I thought. I paid this Vortex member $400 and all of a sudden, he disappeared. It was a scam and I paid for a set of coils that never existed. This a**hole got numerous other users with the same photo of the coils from another users for sale thread :mad:

PayPal eventually refunded me after a long claims process. :thumbup:

-----

Now here is where some of you may recognize me.
In February I started "shrinking cars" in return for donations to my friend Cory, a fellow MKV'er, who has been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis since birth. Cory was recently added to the list for a double lung transplant and needed some help with the burden of constant trips to John Hopkins, hotel and food costs, and most importantly the transplant in general. Car enthusiasts would submit a photo of their car to me and I would shrink it in photoshop in return for their donation. The hashtag #shrinkallthecars became the name of this fundraiser due to the shrunk photos being shared on Instagram.

Like so:

This took off like I never expected and in the end I did over 950 of these "shrinks" accumulating $5,660 for Cory..all by myself.

Now you're probably wondering WTF :screwy: does this have to do with my car. Keep reading.

To celebrate the success of the fundraiser, a meet was held at FDR Park in Philly where I was in for a surprise.. http://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/

On my way to Philly I collided with a 6x6 block of wood not even 30 miles from home..

Cracking my front passenger side wheel COMPLETELY in half. I kid you not.

I then drove to Philly on my spare after I had the car up on a lift and everything checked out underneath

During the #shrinkallthecars meet, New German Performance donated a set of their Type 1 Coilovers to me for all the hard work I put in for Cory. Big ups to the guys at NGP! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great coilovers. I highly recommend them to anyone out there in the market for a set.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: ^^

Minutes after the coils were installed

So now I’m stuck rolling around on 3 Huff’s and a steelie spare.. :(

Awaiting Klutch Wheels by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

In desperate need of some wheels I bought some Klutch SL14 wheels and I couldn't be happier with them! Big ups to KlutchRepublik for the great customer service!

Specs:
18x8.5 et42 front
18x9.5 et45 rear
225/40 Falken 512 all around

Klutch Wheels by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

Assassass by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

Added a rear fog

Super Cruise by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

DIY found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20090126235642/http://homepage.mac.com/cvervais/gli/gli_rear_fog.pdf

How she looks now:

IMG_0074 by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

Wills Roller by Chad Kreiling, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Nice progress and major props to you for doing that for a friend. Your a good person and you have touched many people with a simple act of kindness.

·
Premium Member
04 R32, 19 Golf R
88,075 Posts
Can't say enough good things about you Mr. Chadwick.

Keep doing what you're doing. Car looks amazing.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
04 R32, 19 Golf R
88,075 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:

Question about the rear fog; do both reverse lights still illuminate?
No. Only the passenger side.

I don't know about other states, but PA inspection only requires one reverse light to pass.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good man. Can't believe how that wheel split. Crazy.
Thanks! I about sh*t myself when I hit the block of wood :eek: haha

:thumbup::thumbup:

Question about the rear fog; do both reverse lights still illuminate?
No. Only the passenger side.

I don't know about other states, but PA inspection only requires one reverse light to pass.
What PSU said. The driver side only illuminates still
MD requires both to pass inspection but we don't have annual inspections :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Cool story man. It was awesome you were able to help your friend so much.

Your car is really coming along. I have the same tail lights on my Rabbit. All you need is the trigger wire and vag-com to get the rear fog to work with those tail lights? I always assumed you needed to modify the tail light itself. I may try this myself. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool story man. It was awesome you were able to help your friend so much.

Your car is really coming along. I have the same tail lights on my Rabbit. All you need is the trigger wire and vag-com to get the rear fog to work with those tail lights? I always assumed you needed to modify the tail light its self. I may try this myself. :thumbup:
Yep! You can buy that trigger wire from ECS or your local dealer for around 10 bucks. A wire or two needs switched around under the dash and then Vag-Com coding to wrap it all up.

Make sure you get a red bulb, too. I found some nice LED ones on Amazon.

I'm assuming you have a euro switch already?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yep! You can buy that trigger wire from ECS or your local dealer for around 10 bucks. A wire or two needs switched around under the dash and then Vag-Com coding to wrap it all up.

Make sure you get a red bulb, too. I found some nice LED ones on Amazon.

I'm assuming you have a euro switch already?

Yeah I have the switch from my fog light and projector retrofit. What size/wattage bulb do I need? Do you mind linking me to one on Amazon? I just bought the trigger wire from ecstuning. Thanks for the help :beer:

1 - 20 of 949 Posts