VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2002 gti with only 35000 mile on it started overheating the other day. when i would take it to redline (i do that a lot) the temp guage would rise rapidly, then when i came to a stop sign and it idled it slowly came back down. Also as soon as it started to get hot, the boost was pulled back, i couldnt get any higher than 3 psi. (our cars SUCK without boost
) so i looked on the tex and knew it was one of two things, a thermostat or a water pump. since i didnt want to spend big money right away i got a thermostat and replaced that first. (pain in the a$$ to get to) took it down the street and instantly was overheating. so i bought the new version water pump (why vw used plastic i dont know) with the metal impeller and put that in. when i looked at the old one there was a crack along the shaft of the impeller. i held on to the impeller and was able to easily spin the gear. when i bearly spread apart the crack it completely broke apart.
so what was happening was when there was load, and i broight it hard to redline the shaft would spin but because it was spinning so fast the impeller woudnt move, but as soon as i got back to idle, it would catch the shaft again and start pumping again.
so once again i am happy to get to drive my car, and even happier to know thati have a water pump with as metal impeller on it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (redlands_gti)

stupid water pumps...mine gave out while going to my gf house on our anniversery...at 80 000 km....dam did I get a load of crap when I showed up 2 hours later with my mothers mazda....ouf....dam plastic impeller

Mark

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (Dubbin_vr6)

maybe it only happens to guys named mark. cuz that is my name.

i am glad mine when out in town. just the weekend before i had drove 200 miles to santa barbra for the nor-cal vs. so-cal car show. that would have $UCKED!

·
Registered
960 Posts

Dude, that really sucks. I might replace my pump early just to have the metal impellers.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! ('02 Turbo S)

My pump also went on my '02 around the same mileage too. I had to boot in a p.o.s caviler until it was fixed.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

Where do you get one with the metal impeller? My wife's pump broke and the dealer replaced it with, yep, another plastic one
"we have to use genuine VW parts"

·
Banned
4,542 Posts
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (Dubbin_vr6)

On your "anniversary"? are you married or somethin?

Quote, originally posted by Dubbin_vr6 »
stupid water pumps...mine gave out while going to my gf house on our anniversery...at 80 000 km....dam did I get a load of crap when I showed up 2 hours later with my mothers mazda....ouf....dam plastic impeller

Mark

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (16vracer)

I don't think there is an OEM PN for the metal impeller. It was sourced from a supplier in Germany by ECS and has since spread to some dealerships, etc . . . So I don't think there is a transverse 1.8T that comes with a metal impeller stock.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (16vracer)

Quote, originally posted by 16vracer »
Are AWD's plastic too?

Yes. Mine was. It gave up at 36,000 miles too...Underachiver.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (little p)

I actually think that all of the years have the plastic impellers. like that guy above me said, when he got his replaced by the dealer, they used :genuine factory parts" and got a plastic one.
a lot of people reccomend changing it early because it can cause SO MUCH DAMAGE if it ever seizes up and locks up your valves. Say goodbye to your motor.
so i guess i am happy now that i have the metal.

·
Registered
280 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif plastic impeller

metal impeller using correct coolant http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
no problems!

automotive engineers built and design it
Just tell SAE , there is a RECALL!

Modified by veeDUBh20 at 9:53 PM 5-20-2004

Modified by veeDUBh20 at 10:06 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
190 Posts

Actually my 2001 Jetta Wolf AWW had a metal impeller stock.
I just replaced it with the ECS pump because I had already bought it expecting to pull out a plastic piece of junk.
Who knew?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (Hybrid VW)

SKF (www.skf.com) has a water pump for 1.8T : model VKPC 81620 and it has metal impeller.
Mine (plastic OEM) broke up at 100.000 miles. We got only a small amount of plastic out of a block. So I hope that remains of the plastic impeller wont stuck and do any damage. Has anybody some experiances with this remains?

Modified by Blue GTI at 8:09 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Chalk up another cracked water pump!! (Blue GTI)

the funny thing about the metal water pump from ecs for 50 bucks, is that it was the cheapest one i could find. all of the auto parts stores around had a replacement but they were all 70 and up.
as for the guy with the metal impeller from the factory, good job!! you got a lucky car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts