VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The oil pump on the left came out of my 1988 8v which I always changed the oil on at 3,000 miles. The pump on the right is from a 1998 2.0 8v which belonged to an old couple and didn't get hardly any service. It had a fram oil filter when I got it. I'm not saying that fram oil filters are bad but I am pretty sure that they neglected to change their oil on time. The whole inside of the engine is like this, sludge. It's only got 107,000 miles too!

· Registered
5,567 Posts
Re: Change your oil! (8vMeX)

they probably just turn the key and drive it...
but seriously, i have a lot of friends that driive beaters and dont give 2 ****s about cars that go 10,000 miles or more without changing their oil.

· Registered
8,189 Posts
Re: Change your oil! (8vMeX)

i deal with this all the time at work, ppl bring in their brand new cars with near 10k kms and they havent changed the oil, some ppl dont understand you need to do certain things like fuel filters, air filters, tranny flush, coolant flush. ill admit its easy to do all this when your the one doing it for next to nothing and it can get costly when shop rates (that are almost at 90 CAD right now) prevent ppl from doing proper maintenance.

· Registered
5,567 Posts
Re: Change your oil! (dossantos25)

i change everyones oil free...its too easy and cheap to not let it go. my friends (that dont know how to) my mom's car, my girlfriends... ****...its kinda fun to me. get out there in some nice weather and play some music...you can get into the mood!

· Registered
8,189 Posts
Re: Change your oil! (8v1991jet)

yea i just did my first tuneup on a buddies 88 4cyl stang, went pretty dam smoothly, i didnt have nice weather or music, but wind in excess of like 30mph gets your butt in gear to get 'r done.

· Registered
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Change your oil! (8v1991jet)

Quote, originally posted by 8v1991jet »
and play some music...you can get into the mood!

Sounds romantic! haha
Yeah the pump still works fine thankfully. It spins smooth so I will be reusing it. I am going to flush the engine with some ATF. You put in like 3 quarts regular oil, and a quart of ATF. Drive it for 50-100 miles and change the oil. It really flushes it out. ATF is like the best for cleaning internal parts.

· Registered
8,189 Posts
Re: Change your oil! (GodSquadMandrake)

Quote, originally posted by GodSquadMandrake »
I am going to flush the engine with some ATF. You put in like 3 quarts regular oil, and a quart of ATF. Drive it for 50-100 miles and change the oil. It really flushes it out. ATF is like the best for cleaning internal parts.

how is this? i work in a garage and never heard of this lol. ive been told to put some ATF in to quiet down my noisy lifters but never to run that much. something about ATF and oil doesnt seem like it would mix.

· Registered
4,097 Posts
Re: Change your oil! (dossantos25)

Quote, originally posted by dossantos25 »
how is this? i work in a garage and never heard of this lol. ive been told to put some ATF in to quiet down my noisy lifters but never to run that much. something about ATF and oil doesnt seem like it would mix.

ATF has a lot of detergent in it. I do this to my fuel trucks at work. they just idle all day, so they get pretty gross. Every oil change its 7 qts oil and 1 qt atf. Makes a huge difference.

· Registered
6,480 Posts
Re: Change your oil! (GodSquadMandrake)

Quote, originally posted by GodSquadMandrake »
I'm not saying that fram oil filters are bad

It's OK to say it, 'cuz Fram filters are indeed crappy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.