VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been griping about poor fuel economy for a couple months now, and it's finally warm and dry enough for me to do some work. I thought I would post some pics for the people who need them.
For a 2001 VW, these are what tools I needed: phillips screw driver, oem fuel filter ($8.43 at impex), saftey goggles, and towel.
VERY Important to wear safety goggles and to depressurize the fuel system. It's safer and easy. Heres how:
Pull your fuel pump fuse, #28 for my car 15amp. I removed the gas cap, to relieve pressure in the tank, but I don't know if it was necessary. With the fuse removed, and gas cap off, crank the engine for a second. I'm not 100% if you are supposed to let the car start, and then die once it loses fuel pressure or not?!? That said, this worked for me.

I used ramps, which is nice and quick to raise the car. If I had my choice, I would have had the car up about 6 more inches, but oh well.
The Fuel filter is under the car, by the passenger-side rear wheel. Here is a pic. The filter box, is placed underneath where the filter is connected:

Under the car, here is a pic of how the filter is situated. Notice, the silver can looking thing. That's it.

If you look close enough, you can see the black plastic connectors that attach to the filter ends. After I figured out how to remove the first one, the second one was easy. Unfortunately, there was no way for me to snap a pic of the connectors, and the litle rectangular button you have to push in.
Do not use a tool to push the button in. If you break the connector, you have to replace the whole line I believe. I was able to rotate the front connector about 30 degrees clockwise, which made it just visible enough for me to see what I was doing. Press the long rectangular button in, and slide it forward at the same time. The button on the rear side connector is in plain sight. Keep your towel ready to catch fuel that leaks. It's also a good idea to have the plasctic ends, that come on the new filter handy, so you can cap off the old filter, to reduce leaking.
Use the phillips screw driver to loosen the center clamp, and remove the filter.
I would like to note two things. The 40K service states to replace the fuel filter at that interval. The Bently repair manual, states that it is a lifetime filter. The Bently manual doesn't even tell you how to remove it, because it's "lifetime."
Here are two pics of my "lifetime filter."
One with the guts exposed...notice how muddy it is:

Here is a pic of some black fuel being pour out on my towel. Notice how dark it is?

The new filter goes in the same way the old one came off. Make sure you check for the flow indicator, so you don't put it in backwards. Make sure you press the connectors on the filter, until you hear the little pop/snap sound. That's it!
For the record, I have just under 38K miles, and always fill up at the same two stations. Hmmm..
I will check for better mileage at my next fill up.
Hope this helps!

Edit: Spelling issues photo hosting.

Modified by 3wheelinWolf at 8:57 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (3wheelinWolf)

Great write up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
342 Posts
Holy crap
That black fuel is nasty!
Even after 75,000 miles when I changed mine, the fuel coming out of my filter was crystal clear. What kind of gas are you using?? did you ever once run a fuel system cleaner like techron?
edit: then again, it may be black because you tore into it and ripped up the filter element.

Modified by 1.infiniT at 2:21 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (1.infiniT)

Quote, originally posted by 1.infiniT »
Holy crap
That black fuel is nasty!
Even after 75,000 miles when I changed mine, the fuel coming out of my filter was crystal clear. What kind of gas are you using?? did you ever once run a fuel system cleaner like techron?
edit: then again, it may be black because you tore into it and ripped up the filter element.

Modified by 1.infiniT at 2:21 PM 2-13-2004

Yeah, the slighlty ripped filter element may be what casued the black fuel. The point still stands, that it was seriously dirty inside.
I have never used a fuel cleaner/techron system. Should I?
I always fill up using the same Sunoco station. For the locals, its the one on Rte 38 toward the BF bridge. 93 Octane.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 3wheelinWolf »

I have never used a fuel cleaner/techron system. Should I?

Yeah, I think it's really a good idea. Use some techron or bg-44k every 10,000 miles. Makes a big difference.
Glad you changed that thing, talk about filthy. Great write up, it would be a good addition though if you could snap a close up pic of one of those connectors so everybody can see the little "button". But maybe that's for next time .

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (01 Wolfsburg)

I did mine as well today! Nice writeup..I think I'm going to take it apart and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (01 Wolfsburg)

maybe a moderator can put this in a DIY fuel filter change..this is a good writeup http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (huevon)

Thanks for the compliments guys. I get so much good information from so many ppl here, that it makes me want to contribute as much as I can. Even if it is a lowly fuel filter change

I have used Techron in the past, on other cars, I guess I'll start doing it on this one.
As far as the button is concerend. Now that I think about it, I could easily shoot the one closest to the rear. Hopefully the flash won't blow out the detail, cos its a really well hidden button.
I have more work to do to her tomoorw, I will definately upadte this thread with that pic, good or bad.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (huevon)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
great job now i am all pumped to change mine

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (GTI20vman)

Using an injector cleaner won't clean the fuel filter. I'd rather spend $10 every 20k on a new fuel filter than $5 every 10k on a fuel system cleaner.....

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (tyrolkid)

Quote, originally posted by tyrolkid »
Using an injector cleaner won't clean the fuel filter. I'd rather spend $10 every 20k on a new fuel filter than $5 every 10k on a fuel system cleaner.....

I didn't think it would clean the filter, but would it be a good idea to run it through the system, with a clean filter, to clean up my injectors, etc?

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

Dude I have changed a lot of fuel filters in my day and I must say one thing, you need to start buying your gas somewhere else or someone is pissed at you and put some dirt or something in your tank.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (MRP2001GTi)

Here's a question,
I just bought a fuel filter yesterday from the VW dealer and the damn thing cost $47.22 (Part # 1J0-127-401-A)
After seeing the pics of yours and comparing it to the one VW gave me I have come to the conclusion that I have just been had! Unless of course the 02 model GTi's have different one.
This is what I have:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (turbo02gti)

unless they changed the filter for your car, that one is the wrong one. the connections are in the wrong place. I haven't swapped one on an 02 gti but I have on an 01 and it's the same as my Jetta, $8-$12 depending on where you get it from.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (WindnWar)

oh, almost forgot, the one I pulled off my friends jetta with a little over 50k on it, the fuel came out black on the dirty side, was clear though on the filtered side.

·
Banned
4,542 Posts
Re: Changed Fuel Filter...how to and pics inside. (turbo02gti)

Yeah, the other day, I wen to buy a 3bar FPR and the parts guy gave me the wrong one.
I called him on it, and at first, he insisted that it was the right one.
Well, then he re-checked the part number and sure enough, I was right, He was wrong.
So the moral of the story is, do your homework, know what you are talking about, don't depend on the vw parts guy.... He's NOT nessesarily an expert!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts