VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the timing belt and water pump etc. changed in my 2.0 with the kit from ECS. It was done by a friend who works at Barry's VW. I trust he did the job right. Everything seems great. New coolant ball switched to G12 and everything. But now intermittenly when I floor it in pretty much any gear the car misfires and will not acclerate. Recently had a coil go, but changed it. Prior to the timing belt job car ran beautiful. Could this be due to the belt change or is it a coincodence and i do i prob just need to change plugs and wires etc. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope not. Would off timing make it misfire intermittantly? I drove it around tonight and sometimes its drove and accelerated fine. Other times misfired under full throttle. If the timing was off wouldnt it run bad all the time? Tached out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and to about 4gs in 4th right before I got home and it didnt misfire once pulled just like old times. so idk any other ideas?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking it might be the dist. And it has been raining really hard here when i get outta work im gonna spray some wire dry around and see if that makes a difference, My CEL is burnt out so idk if im throwing a code. Ill also check the dist marks. Ill let u guys kno when I have more information. Thanx for the replies

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Re: (2.0t jetta86)

Quote, originally posted by 2.0t jetta86 »
I was thinking it might be the dist. And it has been raining really hard here when i get outta work im gonna spray some wire dry around and see if that makes a difference, My CEL is burnt out so idk if im throwing a code. Ill also check the dist marks. Ill let u guys kno when I have more information. Thanx for the replies

you answered your own question. check your ignition coil and distributor cap. i just had this issue.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea they fail way to often and most of the time because of water. No matter how good quality u buy. But I just wanted to reassure myself that if the timing was off it wouldnt have intermittant problems, it would mis fire constantly. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Re: (2.0t jetta86)

Well do you have a check engine light on? If you do, thats the most logical place to start. It will tell you where the problem lies. If its a random misfire not related to the timing belt change (bad wire, bad plug, lean misfire etc...) the code will tell you which cylinder(s) the misfire occurs. This will be a p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304 code. The last number in the code identifies which cylinder the misfire occurs on. I know on the MKIV's if you misalign the belt you will get a cam/crank synchronization code. Im not aware if this is true on the MKIII's. If you get a code like that, well then yes your belt is misaligned.

·
Banned
28 Posts
a MAF code from bad timing? WTF???

to the OP: make sure your distributor is plugged in tight, and if its a 96 Jetta you should have a CEL if the timing is off. It will say something about cam position sensor i believe.
Perhaps your wires / distributor are old and when the tech moved them to do the job he may have aggrivated the condition.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Dan J Reed)

Ok so the timing marks on the flywheel, crank, and cam sprocket are alighned. But I dont know how to adjust my distributor. It seems thats the problem because car idles perfect and runs fine a 1/4 throttle or less. Its only when I romp on it that it misfires, and when it doenst misfire it pulls nice the way it should. So im guessing its the dist, cap, or rotor or a combo of those things since thats the only part of the system that should be effected by engine speed. Im going to run codes on it tommorow, but if the car doesnt misfire at idle will the misfire codes still come up? and if I need to adjust my dist. how do i go about doing so?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.