VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last message wasn't clear. I am thinking of changing from 195-65-15 tires to 205-60-15 , keeping the same 7j x 15" wheels. Has anyone any experience of the difference in road feel or handling or speed or ride quality? Also are wider tires just as good in the wet?

· Registered
557 Posts
Re: changing from one tire size to another (timshier)

Check out this web site
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
You can plug in your old size and compare it with the new. The original size is represented by the line and the new is represented by solid black.
It has been a boon to me in trying to get the most out of the tire size I want to run!
Hope it works for you! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
11,491 Posts

Quote, originally posted by timshier »
My last message wasn't clear. I am thinking of changing from 195-65-15 tires to 205-60-15 , keeping the same 7j x 15" wheels. Has anyone any experience of the difference in road feel or handling or speed or ride quality? Also are wider tires just as good in the wet?

Wet performance will totally depend on the tread pattern/compound you buy in the tires. Middle of the road all season tires may have a tendency to hydro plane more with tread width increase. I went to a ZR rated tire on my changeup and wet road performance was much better.

· Registered
776 Posts

I did this exact tire change. I went from the 65 series Conti CH95 tires that came from the factory to Yokohama AVS dB in the 60 series size you're considering.
The difference in handling was night and day! The turn-in was tremendously sharper, and stability in all handling maneuvers increased dramatically. Ride quality did not suffer one bit.
And there's a bonus: The 60 series profile sticks out over the sides of the wheels more than the 65 series rubber -- handy built-in rim protection!
Note that this tire "upgrade" will result in an ever so slight increase in circumference. That means a slight drop in the speedometer reading. So, you'll be going 1 or 2 MPH faster than the speedo actually says. Something to keep in mind if you like to keep your speed below a certain point, in order to discourage the interest of cops. (I try and keep my car at 79 MPH in known cop-monitored areas, as that seems to be the breaking point with CT state troopers.)
Rain traction can be hampered by a lower profile tire, but in this particular change, there is negligible difference. If rain traction is a priority for you, I suggest that you review the Tire Rack product ratings for tires that excel in the rain. I can tell you that Yokohama's AVS dB is an "ultra-high-performance, all-weather tire" (Tire Rack's words) that has wet traction at the top of the pack. I am constantly impressed by these tires. Even when they do break free in the rain, they don't become dangerous.

Modified by chrishart1 at 10:36 AM 7-20-2003

· Registered
1,619 Posts

Quote, originally posted by timshier »
Also are wider tires just as good in the wet?

Assuming the tread pattern and rubber compound is the same, a wider tire will give more traction at low speeds or if the road is a little wet, but if there is standing water or heavy rain and as speed increases, a wider tire will be more likely to hydroplane.
Real question is, why do you want to go wider? Are you suffering from insufficient traction?
Wider tires will cost more to buy and will hurt your fuel economy, acceleration and braking due to the increase in weight and size of cotact patch (friction).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.