VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody dug in there and replaced their halogen bulbs. I peeked in, looks like a load of crap blocking the back of the headlamp connections. Suggestions, directions? Thanks!

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (miatateer)

The light are on a drawer system. Look at the electrical pdf in the ohio vw link in my signature.

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Re: (VizStorm)

Quote, originally posted by VizStorm »
why? Are your lights not working?

No but they won't be when he is done with them.

Modified by spockcat at 7:29 PM 1-24-2004

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (miatateer)

Tried to direct you to my original post on this subject writen when I changed all of my halogen bulbs, but can't find it.
Just don't be too timid when locking and unlocking using the hex wrench supplied in the tool kit; push in on the headlight a bit in both cases to relieve pressure on the lock. When locking, you will hear an audible click when the housing is fastened. The safety lock is on the top of the upper channel, a silver tab, and needs to be depressed to remove the housing. Access is through an inspection hole in the radiator bulkhead using a long screwdriver to depress the tab. No need to fuss with the tab on assembly. It is all a cake walk.

Modified by DenverBill at 12:40 AM 1-25-2004

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (srohrbaugh)

Steve, thanks for the pictures. As had been oft stated, pictures definitely worth more than my hundred odd words. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (DenverBill)

Hope the drawer setup on our TRegs works better than the one on the beetle. What a PITA! But, when it comes to compacting systems to make room for other things, you can't go wrong with this setup http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (Eric Dow)

Just changed my lights to Ostram halogen bulbs. This thread was very helpful. Read it a bunch of times, did make sense until I went out, look in the back for the tool and got after it. Thanks to all for making changing the lights a piece of cake. Thanks to all that posted pictures. I'll test tonight and report back.

Out
Peter

·
Registered
478 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (Psl53)

Just changed my H7s. Great directions. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif If I can do this anyone can!
Anyone tried to change the bulb in the fog lights? Have any directions? My new H11 bulbs get here next week.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (WaitingforaT-REG)

You have to pull out the oval trim surrounding the fogs; gain access by opening the tow hook cover and pulling hard on the inside of the trim first, then work your way around. There are 3 allen screws holding the fog to the subframe. Remove the screws and wiggle the fog housing out of its cavity. Installation of the bulbs is fairly obvious, just don't touch the bulb's glass. Turn on fogs briefly to check operation. Reinsert the fog housings and patiently wiggle around until the mounting bracket and screw holes line up. Pay particular attention to the position of the tab on the outside of the fog housing. It has to rest behind a support on the subframe for the bracket to seat correctly and the screw holes to align. Have patience; it took me 10 minutes on my first try, with appropriate incantations.
Reinsert the trim piece in the reverse order of disassembly, and fasten down the tow hook cover. Drumroll, amber fog beams.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I changed the H7 with Ostrams and then adjusted the lights. Big difference. The supplier also sent 5W or W5W bulbs that are smaller and Blue. Are they to replace the amber lights on the very outside of the headlight assembly? I wondering if blue will shine more light? I'm not really sure where these bulbs are supposed to go.
Thanks
Peter

Modified by Psl53 at 10:58 PM 1-25-2004

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: Changing Halogen Headlamp bulbs (Psl53)

Quote, originally posted by Psl53 »
I changed the H7 with Ostrams and then adjusted the lights. Big difference. The supplier also sent 5W or W5W bulbs that are smaller and Blue. Are they to replace the amber lights on the very outside of the headlight assembly? I wondering if blue will shine more light? I'm not really sure where these bulbs are supposed to go.
Thanks
Peter
Modified by Psl53 at 10:58 PM 1-25-2004

are they confirmed as w5w bulbs? they looked like 194 bulbs to me. halogen low beam was h7, high beam was h9, fog is h11, blinker bulb looked like a 1156 or 1157.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: W5W Bulbs (Psl53)

Quote, originally posted by Psl53 »
I just checked and they are indeed W5W bulbs. I have no idea where they go.
Thanks
Peter

i meant the bulb in the housing not the bulb you got in the package.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.