VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been getting the parts and tools together to change my interior lights. I got a clear light carrier for the heater controls, but the light carrier inside of the middle heater control knob is green...Im not sure where to find a replacement clear one. I can't just take it out as it also acts as part of the knob's turning mechanism. Do any other models have clear (or red) heater control knob inserts (for lack of a better term) that will fit in our Cs?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Re: Changing Interior Colors- Question about heater control knob light (a_grl_n_her_rado)

Look up ikedo, I think he may have them. Good luck. Cheers http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Changing Interior Colors- Question about heater control knob light (KTN EDGE)

nope, he's the one I bought the light carrier from

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Re: Changing Interior Colors- Question about heater control knob light (a_grl_n_her_rado)

interesting...i just took all the green stuff out myself and noticed the same thing...i'm thinkin about just tintin the green one w/ the color i want because the mk4 ones are all smaller in size so they probably wouldn't fit http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Re: Changing Interior Colors- Question about heater control knob light (white lightning)

The cabrio AC face plate has clear ones. They are the same size i think. Maybe you can swap it over. Try the 2000 Cabbrio.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Changing Interior Colors- Question about heater control knob light (white lightning)

pooop! I was thinking of tint as well, but I'm thinking that because the entire carrier is green, not just the top layer, that it will miscolor. I can't think of what color to mix with green to get a red effect.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

I just sent you an IM
the 1999.5 and up Cabrio has red lights, but it is through the use of a red filter instead of a green filter.
You need to get rid of the green stock corrado bulb holder that goes into the center knob and use the one that I sold you with the clear light carrier. The bulb holder is built into the rear cover and has a green filter on it. Once you remove the center knob bulb holder you will need ot put one of the clear knob inserts into that center knob to make the little white spot light up.
If you can not get the little red filter from a Cabrio I would just get rid of the green filter and use some red translucent film.
You will also need to take the green film out of the HVAC cover panel the trim piece that snaps onto the HVAC controls and surround the knobs, replace that green film with red and you should be good to go.
You will need that new connector to power the light bulb though, the stock Corrado one does not fit, I gave you that part number before

1 - 8 of 8 Posts