VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just received the Euro gauge cluster from a guy in England. This cluster goes up to 160mph. Now, does anyone know how to change the mileage on it? It's higher than what I currently have on my current cluster.
All help would be greatly appreciated... unless I should have posted this on the 12V forum?

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (95RADOVR6)

don't know but what I do is just count what kilometers I've driven...and convert it to miles, since I got the cluster

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (REMUS (13))

i'm a little concerned about this euro cluster. first off, the gas gauge goes up to 15, when our cluster goes up to 18.
do any changes have to be made to the ECU?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (20psirabbit)

switch the gas cluster with your original gas cluster.
they pop right off.
as for changing the mileage - it is illegal - but some people will do it if they have the right tools (and the right incentive). dealership will not unless you buy a NEW cluster from them.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (SLCorrado)

Quote, originally posted by SLCorrado »
switch the gas cluster with your original gas cluster.
they pop right off.
as for changing the mileage - it is illegal - but some people will do it if they have the right tools (and the right incentive). dealership will not unless you buy a NEW cluster from them.

I was thinking of switching the gas gauge face, but is it calibrated correctly? As for the mileage, there's gotta be a way. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

just use the faces although it will make your speedo wrong
I bought a Euro cluster KM, liters celsius etc i just used the faces

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (albeevr6)

pull out the speedo only. in its entirty. needle face and all from the back of the cluster. then plug it into your cluster and everything works great, mileage, speedo, gas and no vag coding junk. i sent you an im with my number because i dont know how to make a better description of how to do this. it is very easy. hope you understand what im saying and if not feel free to call me. good luck, rick

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (zedcorrado)

Quote, originally posted by zedcorrado »
18 US gallons = 14.994 British gallons

Exactly...just change the face of the gas gauge.
I'd be willing to bet you could change out the chip that stores the mileage. I have the same UK 160mph cluster you do and planning to do that when I get some time.
Quote, originally posted by albeevr6 »
just use the faces although it will make your speedo wrong
I bought a Euro cluster KM, liters celsius etc i just used the faces

It's a UK cluster...it reads in MPH already, just goes to 160 instead of 140. No need to change anything on the speedo side.

Modified by SLC4EVER at 6:58 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (SLC4EVER)

Thanks for all the help. Judging from all the responses, I should be able to plug this euro cluster in and everything will work fine. As for the mileage, I will visit my local VW dealer and see what they can do.
I still welcome anymore input or help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Funny, several months ago I posted exactly the same question, and got the exact same "it's illegal" response.
Just suppose it's NOT illegal where we are
and let us know please?

I remember seeing something in the CCA site but it's no longer there.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (SLC4EVER)

Quote, originally posted by SLC4EVER »

It's a UK cluster...it reads in MPH already, just goes to 160 instead of 140. No need to change anything on the speedo side.
Modified by SLC4EVER at 6:58 AM 5-18-2004

I thought he just wanted the cluster for look, I didnt think he wanted to use the whole thing. I used the faces from a Euro cluster for look but kept all the rest of my cluster.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (G60ING)

oh... btw.
100 km/h is equal to 62 miles/hour.
.62 mi = 1.0 km.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (albeevr6)

Quote, originally posted by albeevr6 »

I thought he just wanted the cluster for look, I didnt think he wanted to use the whole thing. I used the faces from a Euro cluster for look but kept all the rest of my cluster.

I definitely didn't get the cluster for the looks. I want a fully functional Euro cluster. Wouldn't have spent all that money just for the bling bling factor.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts

If it's got the digital odometer, then I believe it can only be set once and only set forward. The dealers machine is meant to set a NEW cluster to the current milage for a customer. Therefore, it can only add milage and you have only one shot.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Re: Changing mileage on gauge cluster? (Shikaroka)

seem to remember their being a thread where it explained that you could disconnect and reconnect a capacitor or something behind the cluster, apparantly it would reset it. . . if so you could take it to the dealer and have them set it.
Might have been on the CCA...
What about taking it to the dealer and having them put 999,999 on it, install it and drive a mile or two and then have it reprogramed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts