VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents recently (Today) purchased a winter house in Florida. I am a college student and have my permanent address/Car Registered/ Car Insurance in Massachusetts. Since, I will be using my parents address as a permanent address until I get out of college, I am wondering if there would be any advantage or disadvantage to changing it to the Florida (i.e. Car Insurance Cost) until I get out of college? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Re: Changing Residence to Florida??? (neb-type)

I would leave it all in Mass, as Florida insurance is extremely high (at least compared to Michigan.) I was wondering the same thing about three years ago when I first moved down here, but I left everything based as a Michigan vehicle since I still spend a few months up there.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: Changing Residence to Florida??? (GTO1)

Woah! DEFINITELY leave it in Mass, as FL has some of the highest insurance premiums in the US. Since it's a winter house, I presume it is in South Florida? South Florida's insurance premiums are ridiculous. I'm 23, I've got the minimum possible insurance, with one of the bargain basement companies, with an okay record, and it's still costing me close to $3K.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Better yet, let me know where your parent's winter house is and I'll use it as my permanent residence while your parents are away!

·
Registered
8,656 Posts

Where in FL are they moving? Insurance in South FL is expensive but North is relatively cheap.
There's a $100 initial fee for when new plates are issued and annual registration depends on the vehicle's weight and usually is in the $25-$40 range.
Also, there is no annual inspection/emission testing in FL.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Changing Residence to Florida??? (Y2kSI)

The house is in Southern Florida just north of Fort Myers. I am 20 and pay about $2200 for insurance per year. I was also wondering about how well they communicate with other states about speeding tickets, (i.e. out of state tickets effecting my insurance). One of the reasons that I ask is because I have always been told that Mass has the highest car insurance rates in the nation.

Modified by neb-type at 1:12 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Florida is an emission free state. Meaning you can pretty much do anything you want to your car. However, you will more than pay for it on your insurance premiums.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Are you already paying out-of-state tuition? If you change your address to FL, you will start paying. Also, where do your parents claim residency? If you claim someplace other than theirs, they lose you as a deduction.
Also when it comes to insurance, it is where the car is kept.

Modified by Peregrine at 11:41 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Changing Residence to Florida??? (Peregrine)

Well I go to school in New York..so that doesn't matter. One of my parents will have residency in Florida and the other in Mass. So it really doesn't matter I can chose where I want to be.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts

Florida has the highest uninsured motorist percentage of any state in the US. Also, it cost me $180.00 for registration and a license plate in 2002.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts