VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Re: Changing spark plugs on a 98 A4 2.8L V6 (iamfob)

Umm, pull the engine cover off, remove the coilpacks, pull the plugs, replace in reverse order.
You'll need a spark plug puller socket, and a long extension to reach the plugs.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: Changing spark plugs on a 98 A4 2.8L V6 (Wholsea)

since i am assuming we are talking about the 30V V6... what socket do i need to get the plugs out? since i am planning on doing this soon... annnnddd.... which plugs should i use? i was thinking about these...
BKR6EKUB #

Modified by Turtleteeth at 1:33 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Changing spark plugs on a 98 A4 2.8L V6 (Turtleteeth)

No offense, but if you can't figure out how to change your plugs by looking at your engine for 90 seconds, you probably should go get a service manual and read up before you attempt it.
I don't know the socket dimension -- my socket set came with a big plug socket and a small one, and the small one fits. You may find that the plugs stick inside the rubber grommet in the socket, which can leave the socket stuck on the plug at the bottom of the hole in the head. I smear a small amount of moly bike lube on the grommet before sticking it onto a plug. Seems to help and I've never had a problem with misfires or anything like that.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Changing spark plugs on a 98 A4 2.8L V6 (SquirrelHunter)

any particular plugs i should use as replacement?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

woah... seems like someone had a few things still on their shoulders when they came into the vortex today... uhmm, i agree that i could prolly figure out what size socket i need just by looking under the hood for about 90seconds. however, I AM IN WORK WHEN I GO ON THE VORTEX!!!! Therefore, i generally ask my Q's while on here at work in hope of some A's before i leave work, then i can just go home, do the work i want to and i am already steps ahead because i know exactly what to look for and have the exact tools that i'll need.
Soooo.... MR NASTY... brush your shoulders off next time and leave it at the door.
Oh, and the reason i am asking what plugs to use is because i am curious to see if there are any better than stock out there....
my bad, if you were referring to the other guy on the post... BUT MAYBE HE DOES THE SAME AS I DO... and works all day and is just looking to stay ahead of the game...

Modified by Turtleteeth at 8:20 AM 5-26-2004

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Changing spark plugs on a 98 A4 2.8L V6 (Turtleteeth)

Turtleteeth: Did I not say that no offense was meant? Obviously you took offense. I hope my suggestions were helpful as far as I could go with them.
iamfob: I use Bosch plugs, but honestly, for a stock engine I think any reputable plugs intended for the 30V V6 will work just fine. They come properly gapped these days, so you should be able to just put them in. Seriously, though, if you're a mechanical novice you should really think about getting a shop manual before you do anything. A torque wrench is a good investment, too. Changing plugs is very easy, but it also gives you the opportunity to screw up your cylinder heads by stripping a plug hole.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

sorry if i seemed testy, i was actually having a bad morning and didnt have my protein shake yet either. But still!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i went on sparkplug.com and for 98 A4 2.8 V6, there's 2 types of engine. So how am i suppose to know which one i have?
and which plugs come pregapped?

·
Registered
88 Posts

Unless the 30V phased in and the 12V phased out that year, I'm stumped on your first question. If that's the issue, you can tell by looking at the stickers and such under your hood. Mine says 30V very prominently on the engine cover, for instance.
I haven't had to gap a plug in years, whether it was a Bosch, Denso or NGK. They should all pretty much come with the right gap.

·
Registered
930 Posts

Hmm... My '98 2.8 was a 24v engine...

FWIW, there are a few sources for extra-deep spark plug sockets designed for DOHC heads. Sometimes, the rubber grommet inside the socket gripping the plug is stronger than the detent ball on your socket extension - leaving the socket inside the head and you have to fiddle with it to get it out. I ran into this when changing the plugs on a BMW S52 engine... Not the end of the world, but the longer socket would have made the task easier (and yes, I lubed the grommet...).
Of course, use a torque wrench when installing the plugs. The spec is surprisingly low...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Re: Changing spark plugs on a 98 A4 2.8L V6 (Ian F)

Didn't know audi made a 24v motor...
Thought they were only 12v and 30v...

*checking motor history*....
Did you swap a 24v VR6 in there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts