VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i took my 04 jetta gli to the shop the other day cuz of a clicking in the front and they told me i have a broken strut in the front. so i've decided to change the whole suspension. Im looking at a couple of packages at mjm autohaus and my question is: what other components do i need besides the shocks and springs. Do i need to change the mounts or the bushings or the bearings? there are a couple kits that include only one set of bushings... is there only one set on the car? which is a better brand blistien or koni? I"m looking for a sutble drop and better performance. also how much does installation typically cost? how many hours of labor? thanks for all your help
- Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
A true coil over kit will come with everything you need to complete installation
As per which one is better.... if your not track driving your not going to know the difference
both will drastically increase performance over the stock setup. Also Ride height should be adjustable so you can slamm it or just have a subtle drop.
Installation shouldnt be more than 4 hours for a shop. However you can do it yourself its really not that complicated. ( As long as you have the tools )

Modified by EgoBeliever at 12:02 PM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: changing suspension questions (tombodan)

I installed Koni coilovers on my GLI 2 weekends ago and they are superb. No problems at all, so far. The only additional parts I got were new front strut bushings, bearings, and OEM 21mm nuts. I re-used my front spindle pinch bolts and end-link to swaybar bolts but will be replacing them next weekend - couldn't get the new one's in time for planned install day. I also re-used my rear shock mounts and rear shock mount bolts - torqued all bolts to Bentley specs with no problems. I got the whole job done in one afternoon. Not too complicated. Nice subtle drop with Koni's...about 1/2" between tire and fender arch is exactly what I was looking for. The handling is night and day comapared to stock...I don't track my car but I do take the twisties to work everyday...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts