VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing the Haldex Oil

I see there are now kits available with high performance oil and filtes. for our haldex coupling.
Some believe for various reasons that its good to flush the engine oil and change the filter at some point after the break in period but before 5k miles.
Would this same logic dictate that it *might* be acceptable to change the Haldex oil and filter before the 20k service?
Is it possible for the Haldex oil to need topping off like the engine often does?

Modified by R2-32 at 2:42 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
574 Posts
Re: Changing the Haladex Oil (R2-32)

R2..please dont get mad, i'm just kidding here...its early, i just got into work and need a laugh...
Haladex?!??! its Haldex! lose the second 'a' brotha...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Changing the Haladex Oil (harryzwd)

Sorry. It was early for me too. Thank god you can edit these posts.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: Changing the Haladex Oil (glxdriver)

I have got quite a few more miles before changing my Haldex oil, but I was going to buy the filter wrench, filter & oil when buying some other items to save on shipping (I'm at least going to buy the wrench now.)
Anyway, does anyone know what type of oil the Haldex uses & is there anything better to use? It makes more sense to fill it from the inspection hole then the drain hole & I have a oil pump to do this with (I just changed my wife's Miatas fluids.) So, is there a better oil to use? If someone knows, then I was just going to buy a quart when the time comes & use that (obviously not the whole quart, just the .25L as required.)

·
Registered
352 Posts
EIP is going to or already has the three components you are looking for on their website. The wrench alone is about $60. Should be under $100 and make sure you get you Vortex 10% discount.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: (FastMover)

Quote, originally posted by FastMover »
EIP is going to or already has the three components you are looking for on their website. The wrench alone is about $60. Should be under $100 and make sure you get you Vortex 10% discount.

I just checked, but it appears that it is not out yet. Thank you for the tip.
Does anyone know if the oil found in cartridge G052175A1 is synthetic or is there something better that we can use?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Cool, thanks! If EIP offered a kit for under $100, that would be a great buy, but as their prices are currently, Impex is cheaper...
Impex:
#G052175A1 - HALDEX.FLD- Your Price: $20.66      
#02D525558A - HALDXFILTR - Your Price: $34.59
#T10066 - TOOL - Your Price: $58.19
TOTAL: $113.44
EIP Tuning:
Haldex Fluid 330ml Container (Service Haldex / Oil & Filter Change VW R32 & Audi TT Quattro).
Price: US$21.75
Haldex Oil Filter VW R32 & Audi TT Quattro.
Price: US$36.42
Haldex VW / Audi Wrench (Oil & Filter Change) R32 / TT Quattro.
Price: US$63.95
TOTAL: $122.12

I am just surprised that no one knows what the Haldex fluid is & if it is just transmission fluid or something else.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! You're right it is about the same.
But I still want to know what the Haldex fluid is & if there is something better to use.

·
Registered
352 Posts
In the post above with the Haldex oil changing instructions, you will notice they mention 'Haldex Oil'. It is special oil and should not be confused with typical Gear Oil that would be used in the transmission housing. There are specific VW part numbers (G 052 175 A1 = Oil and 02D 525 558 A = Filter) for the Haldex Oil and Filter from Haldex. I would not be interchanging oils for the Haldex Case as I would imagine it would void your warranty immediately.

Modified by FastMover at 8:00 PM 2-20-2005

·
Registered
7,778 Posts

It will void you warrantee, (to use any other oil or filter rather than OEM) that oil is very specifically formulated for the Haldex. I would not recommend changing the oil after the initial break in like you would with engine oil, its is designed and tested to perform for 20k miles, and it will. That Haldex is probably one of the more expensive pieces of the car, and not following the OEM specs and schedules etc. might not be very well advised.
Just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Re: (MIMDesign)

1stvwparts.com prices:
26.22 for filer
15.66 for oil
they do not list the tool (atleast not that I can find yet)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Re: (Kevbelz)

Fortunately, I have a good VW service dept & service mgr, Ganley Westside Imports, North Olmsted Oh. I asked the service mgr about the 20k vs 40k service interval. He stated that all his info showed 40k intervals. When I showed him the article that Al posted (Thanks Al) he said that once VW publishes a service interval, they cannot go back & change it. He further stated that since VW published 40k intervals, they would have to honor that under warranty. I believe he is spot on there. However, if the Haldex engineers (from Al's article) advise changing the fluid & filter @ 20k, then thats what I'm doing. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Makes me wonder tho, if the same isn't true about going 10k in between oil changes after the 10k service.
I will probably get an oil sample @ 15k & ship it to my local Detroit Allison shop & decide from there.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Re: (roadrunner469)

I think I figured this mystery out, but I might be wrong.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1962641
VW Europe recommends every 20k haldex oil change , every 40k filter change. Maybe if there were more VW haldex units in the US, and/or there were more problems with them, VW of America would change that. (BTW- VW can change service intervals once they're established, they just need to notify a whole lot of people, and would probably only want to do that in extreme circumstances because it is costly and might open them up to liability for periods prior to the change)
It seems that VW Driver article is the Euorpean version. (VWoA informed me that theirs is not month specific, but rather season specific)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Re: (MIMDesign)

Quote, originally posted by MIMDesign »

But I still want to know what the Haldex fluid is & if there is something better to use.

AFAIK the Haldex fluid is still a mystery so I wouldn't substitute anything else. Found this on Haldex's site:
What kind of oil can i put in my haldex coupling in my audi, vw, seat or skoda?
If you have generation 1 of the HLSC then you can only use the designated oil with number G-052-175-A1. If you have generation 2 then you should use the Halbot 390F oil.

·
Banned
3,419 Posts
Re: (peace)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2244551
you might want to go thru and read the above string
it was determined that you are supposed to fill the haldex unit from below thru the drain hole, not the fill hole on the side
there's a captive threaded insert on the side "fill" or check hole that is easy to dislodge and knock into the haldex
and don't think eip includes it in the kit, but you'll need an anti-gravity generator but you can rent one of those
kidding on the antigravity generator but not on the first part

1 - 20 of 40 Posts