VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jetta S, 2018 Passat GT, 2012 Tiguan S
475 Posts
VW manuals are notoriously confusing for oil specifications. All you need is to make sure the oil you use meets the certification on the sticker under the hood, much more straight forward.

If you have the 504 sticker, I'd suggest VW 504 since it is a newer, tougher spec from VW (actually one of the most stringent for any manufacturer) and is formulated for newer engines with lower Sulphur fuel, it may keep the engine cleaner than the much older VW 502 spec. You won't find VW 504 oils at Walmart, but you can now get it straight from the dealer departments for as little as 6 bucks a quart. On line is also an alternative of course.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Like he said that is a VW 502 oil, not 504. Very good oil but much different formulation, full SAPS and with high calcium not the best match for new DI engines. The VW 504 is mid SAPS with a low calcium formula better for DI.

Over the counter here you can get VW 504 at Napa (M1 ESP 0w30) which goes on sale every once in a while for 6 bucks a quart. Same oil your dealer will sell you as OEM VW Audi 0w30 for about the same price. They (Napa) also have a Valvoline that is 504 I think.

Advance carries Pennzoil Euro XL 0w30 which is 504 but they don't typically include it in their oil change specials so it's about 10 bucks a quart, ouch.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Interesting, never seen that before, and I was one of those nerds who even cut filters open to look at. Don't have to now with cartridges. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Filters can change for seemingly inexplicable reasons, but Fram has an excellent look up tool on their site I'd verify size there first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts