VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have that funnel from ECS.. so much better. I did it on my friends R without it and it was horrible. I did it with the funnel on my Arteon and I literally just dumped the oil in the funnel and let it do its thing.

Also, I bought the dual power extractor from ECS/Schweban. So much cleaner and easier. Only drawback is cleaning the hose. The extractor itself i just left it with a layer of oil in it.

I have a box of Mobil1 0W-40 thats 502 spec and a box of Mobil1 ESP 0W-30 thats 504 spec.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Purely my observation.. But.. first oil change I used 5w-30 VW502 and VW oil filter. no real difference. second oil change i used 0w-30 with a KN oil filter and it felt like it had more torque off the line. It could just be a placebo effect but that's what I feel. My next one is due in a few months, which will be at the dealer because of maintenance package.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The 2022 Arteon with a Evo4 engine according to the owners manual requires 0W-30 oil. The owner manual says synth oil change interval is 7,500 - 10,000 miles, I prefer to change oil in all my cars every 5000 miles. So between the free oil changes that the dealer offers for 2 years, I plan to change the oil my self every 5000 mi after the initial change after the 1000 mile break-in period. I buy my oil, filter and drain plug from FCP euro so it is only only a one time buy plus cost to ship the oil back.

I have never changed oil at the dealership for all the new cars I have bought. I just keep receipts just in case there is a warranty issue.
Most Auto Parts stores accept used oil for free.. just saying. I been changing my oil with the extractor and bringing the whole container to Advanced Auto in NJ and they just told me to go to the back and empty it out. 5000 miles at home and the next 5000 miles at dealer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
this is intriguing. What do you use to aspirate the oil? I imagine a tube of some sorts and a vacuum pump?

Nice writeup by the OP. Same process for any transverse EA883 engine VW or Audi.

I would never use an extractor - that's for lazy owners who don't mind leaving the dregs in the pan.

Most automatic transmissions send fluid through the (in pan) filter before the pump. Practically all engines send the oil through the oil pump before the oil filter. Think about it.
Some of us don't have the liberty of having jack, jack stands ramps, or the ability to go under the car. And some of us like to change their oil outside the recommended service intervals. So, it would get drained form the drain plug at the dealer at 10,000 mile intervals anyways. Oil will be changed at 5000 mile intervals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts