VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Since the filter is on top of the engine, getting a basic hand pump oil extractor off Amazon and just sucking the oil out the dipstick tube from the top is a LOT easier and a LOT quicker. No jackstands, no shield removals, none of that messing around - just suck it out the tube (yes, it gets all of it). Don't need to worry about the crush washer either.

I do oil changes on my Tiguan in literally 20 minutes this way, and I can do it while wearing nice clothes.

Nice write-up, but you could literally cut 2/3 of your post out if you just sucked the oil out of the dipstick tube, topside...which is also what the dealer does.

1) Take dipstick out and suck oil out of dipstick tube with extractor
2) Loosen filter and let it drain, then replace filter
3) Fill new oil
4) Reset service indicator

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I understand using a oil extractor is less messy, what is the issue with going under a Volkswagen. I have been doing it for a few decades. Anything specific related to dealing with plastic oil pan and plastic oil drain plug?
The issue with going underneath is that it's a completely unnecessary, messy waste of time on a car that has an oil filter serviced from the topside.

Literally oil changes in top side filter VWs with an extractor take 20 minutes and can be done dressed in nice clothes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts