VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
im just now coming up on my first oil change (this last year i have hardly driven my Arteon), how does me changing my oil myself effect the warranty if anything happens? can the dealership come back saying since i have no record of an oil change potential warranty work will not be covered?
Save your receipts (oil, filter). I just changed mine for the first time, and decided to use all VW OEM parts: oil, filter, and drain plug crush washer. I wrote it up like a shop would, including tag, date, mileage and VIN, listing part numbers, noted particles and 3 metal shavings found in filter inspection. I ordered the parts from ECS Tuning.

I had a cam chain tensioner go bad on my 2001 Passat, under warranty, and had no warranty problem even though I was missing one oil change receipt from a shop.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice write-up, but you could literally cut 2/3 of your post out if you just sucked the oil out of the dipstick tube, topside...which is also what the dealer does.

1) Take dipstick out and suck oil out of dipstick tube with extractor
2) Loosen filter and let it drain, then replace filter
3) Fill new oil
4) Reset service indicator
I have an oil sucker, but chose to get under the car for inspection purposes this time.

I suggest letting the filter drain before extracting the oil. From the shape of the pan, the sucker method will not leave much oil behind. I might jack car a bit from the left side (driver in US) before extracting, to tilt the pan so as to get a tiny bit more out, but it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Regarding the oil drain bolt and crush washer: Apparently the bolt/washer/pan was painted after assembly. When the bolt is removed, it looks like it has a flange and no washer. The "flange" is the washer, and will pop off easily. I was initially trying to pick loose the washer from the "flange" before realizing my mistake.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anybody find tiny red and green flecks in their filter pleats, and some metal shavings/bits? Charles (humblemechanic) postulated that it might be plastigauge, but I don't know that the factory would be using such. This was my first oil change, ~4k miles.

Orange Amber Citrus Mandarin orange Valencia orange
Orange Amber Peach Citrus Orange

·
Registered
108 Posts
What’s the process for removing the engine cover? Does just pull off?
There are some screws to remove in the under-engine plastic cover. I don't remember how many. I did it that way for the first oil change, but I typically just use an extractor. Suck out the oil through the dipstick tube. No need to raise the car or take off that cover. Especially on this engine, which has the oil filter right on top. You could do the entire thing in dress clothes.

Because of the low front end, and those rubberry/plastic air dams in front of the wheels, it is difficult to use ramps on the front end. I think I will just remove those air dams ( 2 screws, each side) next time I want to use ramps (maybe for brake fluid flush next week).

EDIT TO ADD: If you were talking about the top engine cover, it just pulls off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts