VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 533 Posts

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
30,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evora goes back mid June, and I'm already eyeballing weekend car replacements. I'm thinking rust prone Italian trash.

But that got me thinking. SS mostly sits. Aside from a trip to Austin in 2020, I probably put 1,000 miles on it in the last year. I'm permanently working from home, and I mused just getting an Alfa, selling the SS and just dealing with it. When I came to my senses, I was thinking of getting a Volt as a run around car, but then I started to find a middle ground.

Two unreliable cars equals one reliable car, right?

H.E. Pennypacker shot me a photo of a clean E38 in his neighborhood. I went to check it out, but it was scruffier in person that I would have liked. After dinner last night, I was randomly surfing FB marketplace for an E38, and I spotted this Sport.

1999 actual Sport package (thanks @Chris_V for great posts about how to tell a real one from an E38 on M Parallels). 94k miles, Cosmos Black on Black. Local Bay Area car since new, no accidents or damage history, clean title.

Ok, I'll shut up. Pictures:

How excited am I to have a daily driver waft machine, with a bit of a hard edge, that reminds me a lot of my E39 540/6 that I miss? Oh about as excited as this TCL'ers pup

My bud is gonna work on the paint, see about a little PDR, and I'll get some hushyshots of it soon.

I do need to sort out the radio. It comes on, but after it's on for about 1 minute, the sound stops. I was playing the digital amp, and in some settings the sound would come back on, but I couldn't adjust the volume. Seems like a crap amp, but I'll check the forums and see if it's a common issue.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
22 Frontier 16 A8 15 S8 88 16v Scirocco
18,101 Posts
MURPH MAN!!!!!! 💖 💖 💖

Congrats on the pick up. My father had a very similar one in the day new. Such a great cruiser.

Reactions: Numbersix

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I think the E38 is the prettiest body style of all the 7-Series built to date. The short wheelbase, V-8 engine (instead of the V-12), and the Sport Package prove that the original owner was knowledgeable about what he (she?) bought. It looks very nice.

🍺

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
30,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait...so you're going to just this as your sole car?
Right now I have three cars, but in June I'll be down to just this while I hunt for a GTV.
Hell yes. That is a quality move. Peak golden-era BMW as far as I'm concerned, and one of the best looking sedans every made.
After owning an E39 540/6 for 8 years, I opened the door today, took a whiff of the interior, and thought to myself "hello old friend." I need to find a Startac phone for it before RADwood.

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
5,629 Posts
I want one of these with a 6spd swap. congrats man

Reactions: TJSwoboda

·
Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,336 Posts
1. These are so cool.
2. I want to watch The Transporter for the 100th time now.
3. Im looking forward to more quality posts from you about the ownership of such a rad car.

1 - 20 of 533 Posts