VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 408 Posts

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evora goes back mid June, and I'm already eyeballing weekend car replacements. I'm thinking rust prone Italian trash.

But that got me thinking. SS mostly sits. Aside from a trip to Austin in 2020, I probably put 1,000 miles on it in the last year. I'm permanently working from home, and I mused just getting an Alfa, selling the SS and just dealing with it. When I came to my senses, I was thinking of getting a Volt as a run around car, but then I started to find a middle ground.

Two unreliable cars equals one reliable car, right?

H.E. Pennypacker shot me a photo of a clean E38 in his neighborhood. I went to check it out, but it was scruffier in person that I would have liked. After dinner last night, I was randomly surfing FB marketplace for an E38, and I spotted this Sport.

1999 actual Sport package (thanks @Chris_V for great posts about how to tell a real one from an E38 on M Parallels). 94k miles, Cosmos Black on Black. Local Bay Area car since new, no accidents or damage history, clean title.

Ok, I'll shut up. Pictures:

How excited am I to have a daily driver waft machine, with a bit of a hard edge, that reminds me a lot of my E39 540/6 that I miss? Oh about as excited as this TCL'ers pup

My bud is gonna work on the paint, see about a little PDR, and I'll get some hushyshots of it soon.

I do need to sort out the radio. It comes on, but after it's on for about 1 minute, the sound stops. I was playing the digital amp, and in some settings the sound would come back on, but I couldn't adjust the volume. Seems like a crap amp, but I'll check the forums and see if it's a common issue.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
11,531 Posts
MURPH MAN!!!!!! 💖 💖 💖

Congrats on the pick up. My father had a very similar one in the day new. Such a great cruiser.

Reactions: Numbersix

·
Premium Member
13,132 Posts
Congrats! I believe this was the first car (at least in the US) to have been sold with a 5AT. They're great looking cars, imo.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think the E38 is the prettiest body style of all the 7-Series built to date. The short wheelbase, V-8 engine (instead of the V-12), and the Sport Package prove that the original owner was knowledgeable about what he (she?) bought. It looks very nice.

🍺

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait...so you're going to just this as your sole car?
Right now I have three cars, but in June I'll be down to just this while I hunt for a GTV.
Hell yes. That is a quality move. Peak golden-era BMW as far as I'm concerned, and one of the best looking sedans every made.
After owning an E39 540/6 for 8 years, I opened the door today, took a whiff of the interior, and thought to myself "hello old friend." I need to find a Startac phone for it before RADwood.

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,659 Posts
I want one of these with a 6spd swap. congrats man

Reactions: TJSwoboda

·
Registered
golf cart hatchback
5,851 Posts
You did good. The E38/39 are style icons, supreme comfort, and hustle far too well for a big luxury car. But you already know this.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
6,941 Posts
E9, E38...are you on a quest to own all of the best looking BMWs of all time? Just need a 507 and you'll have owned the trifecta.

Excellent buy, sir.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
2,548 Posts
1. These are so cool.
2. I want to watch The Transporter for the 100th time now.
3. Im looking forward to more quality posts from you about the ownership of such a rad car.

·
Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
1,568 Posts
Honestly I've only ever seen iLs for sale in my area, I'm just now learning they sold the short wheelbase here. Beautiful car, but what drives better, the SS or the 7?

1 - 20 of 408 Posts