VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
381 - 400 of 408 Posts

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
21,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
September update!

I was in New York, and the goal was to fly home Thursday, wake up at 6am on Friday morning, and drive from NorCal up to RADwood at Dirt Fish outside of Seattle. I was excited for a road trip, but I also was super excited to see some friends I haven't seen since the pandemic, and spend some time with my sister.

So I get home, and I fire up the car to get some dinner. DING Check Coolant. Pop the hood, and it's down just enough to trigger the warning. I check around the water pump and seep hole, and there's no evidence of coolant leaks, and the bearing isn't making any noise. With a new radiator and hoses, that leaves the valley pan as the only culprit, and just like my E39, it decided to start seeping after I fixed other parts of the cooling system. Cammisa called me an idiot for not doing it all, as in his words, I'm just moving the failure point around. Fine Jason, you're right as usual.

Valley pan is annoying to do, but it is a slow seep and doesn't pop and gush coolant. Fine. Plan was to top off the coolant, take it for a on hour long drive, and check the coolant level in the morning for my 6am departure. If it was stable, and wasn't losing a lot, I was going to load up some coolant and make my way up to Seattle.

So it's 10pm, nothing is open, so I stop at CVS, buy some distilled water, and head out to the car. Pull the hood release, go to open the hood, and hmm. Not opening. Pull the release, but I don't really feel the click of the hood releasing. Pull the release, and nothing. Hood won't open.

It's late, I know I'm low on coolant, and the hood won't pop. Yeah. Not going on a 12 hour road trip like this.

Wake up the next morning, and I'm hoping it's something simple. Sometimes the second latch won't release because the bowden cable breaks, and if that's the case, you have to break a kidney grill to manually pull it. I pull the release, stuff the floor mat in the gap to jam it in the pulled position, and I grab the hood and wiggle and tug, and wham, it releases.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

This little pushyboi is the culprit. It tensions the hood against the release, and it was stuck in the collapsed position. Little Whizzle Dizzle, whacked it free with the can, and it popped back up. Ran it through the open and closed position a few times, and it got smooth again. I did the same thing on the other side, lubed up the hood latches, and I'm back in business.

Coolant level has been stable and hasn't needed a drop in the last 5 days, so while I'm annoyed I scrubbed my trip over a few stupid things, my exhausted brain didn't trouble shoot the situation as well as my well rested brain did. Before flying home from NYC I was up the prior night partying until way too late, flew home on a 6 hour flight, I was exhausted, starving, and didn't trouble shoot a simple situation. Oh well. I'll just head up there sometimes soon to see my friends and family, but I'm bummed I missed RADwood. I'll just monitor the coolant and see how slowly it's going down, but after it not budging I'm not super worried.

Handwriting Blue Writing instrument accessory Finger Font

Also, you know you own cool cars when getting notes like this is pretty common. Used to get them on my MkII 16v, E39 540/6, E9, SS, Evora and now the E38. Texted the guy, let him know it's not for sale, but I'll hit him up before I list it on BaT at some point in the next few years.

Car gets dropped off tomorrow to have the bumpers repainted, and I'm excited to have the last little bits of clean up done.

·
21,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Sounds good to me! I'll be back out there sooner than later. I freaking loved it. I'll be crashing with friends in UES or Astoria. Happy to buy round two. 🍻

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
11,517 Posts

·
21,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
So you're changing the valley pan gasket this week, right?
I'd prefer to determine that it is the issue before I tear into it, because the plan is to do the valley pan, timing chain and guides, valve cover and intake gaskets and the water pump and thermostat while I'm in there. I was hoping to have a little more time before that job, as my budget for fun has been dedicated to a lot of travel and I haven't ear marked that much in my budget for the car. I still have the bumpers I've budgeted for, and then three more trips and a Traeger to buy before I'd like to shell out that amount of dough.

Next oil change I was going to take off the oil pan and pick up screen and look for plastic, and that was going to determine when I do the timing chain. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
4,807 Posts

·
21,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 ·
Bumper update! Hit up the body shop that I used to use back when I was in the car business. My old dealer group and this shop have a decades long relationship, and the quality of their work is top notch. I hit up the guy I've worked with for years after looping in my old dealer groups used car manager, which is a the professional way of saying "do the job right."

Show photos of the damage to the bumpers. Tell him I want them to look like new again. He gives me a quote because it'll be a pain to take it all apart, and paint both black sections. Later E38's had full body colored bumpers, but earlier cars like mine have dark black plastic lowers. Ok, deal. Drop the car off, I was told I would get a call when work started, and it'll take about a week.

Before:
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Grille Automotive design

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

Week goes by, and I haven't spoken to anyone. So I call in, leave my adjuster a voicemail. No call back. Call in the next day, and tell the receptionist that I need a status update and nobody is calling me back. She's super sweet, says she'll email the adjuster and CC me. Perfect. At this point, I've been in the car business long enough that my spidey senses are tingling, so let's move the conversation over via text.

He called me the next day, and leaves me a voicemail stating he will be starting work on it, and it'll be done Monday/Tuesday. I email him back and say please use the license plate delete trim piece which is in the trunk. Two days later he emails asking if I want to use the trim bit that doesn't have a spot for the license plate. Yes. Use that. Texts me Thursday to say car is done.

Ok. I'm driving there concerned, since I know from my time in the business, that poor communication and follow up is a sign of "Oh here we go."

So I get there. Upper trim bit wasn't replaced, but hey, I can do that in my garage. No big deal. But then I look at the bumper, and the lower part isn't fixed and painted. Only one of them. Remember above where I said I got a quote that specifically stated both would be painted? So why is this not painted?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

(while it looks like a ton of orange peel, that actually matches the factory paint. Ah Germans)

So I turn the car on, and it claims it's -40 out, which means the temp sensor isn't clipped in. DING Check fro II I III I. Ah BMW's with dying VDO pixels. What could need checking in the front? Probably a fog light since it was all apart.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light

Culprit confirmed. You can also see the center trim and the passenger side trim are vastly different colors, so let's just replace that. Hit up my friend from the shop, and say hey man, we had a miscommunication. I wanted all of the bumpers done, and my OAT sensor is dead, and so is a foglight. Lemme know how we can get this finished up. That was Thursday.

Monday I text again. Hey man, let's get this wrapped up. We chat on the phone, and he sends me down to the body shop to get the light and OAT fixed. I want my AC back.

Dude at the shop is pleasant, said they did bitching work on the bumper (the part they did was in fact fantastic), and he's sorry about the light bulb burning out, but that's a funny coincidence. He pulls the photos from disassembly, and shows me the wiring for the OAT was pretty frail, and yeah, looks like it came apart during disassembly. That's fine. I will fix that.

So what's happening with the fog light? Can you have a tech inspect it to see if the harness was clipped onto the socket? No. Why no. Because it's a bulb.

Bro. See here on the dash where there's an orange triangle, and when you press this it says "Check fro II I III I." That wasn't there when I dropped it off. He pulls the photos from check in, and yes, it's not there. AHA SOS! This is a bingo! See it's not there when we checked the car out! It's not our fault!

"Yeah, the car is off." 🙃

He admits that yeah, warning light wouldn't be on then.

He again tries to blame the wiring harness, stating well we saw the issue with the OAT sensor, so who knows how bad the rest of the harness is. Hokay, we're going to do this then. If it's so bad, why was this not communicated with me? It was pulling teeth to get a call back from you guys, but if you knew the car wasn't going to go back together correctly, could you have at least told me before, or during time of pickup? He pulled the you were in the business, if we had to do that we'd never get anything done. I reminded him when it comes to covering your ass and protecting yourself from customers, you always document everything, and if a service advisor of mine had not covered their ass by documenting it in the RO, I'd err on the side of the customer, and eat the job. I'm not clairvoyant; if something like the OAT sensor wiring is ****y, tell me.

So here we are, politely but increasingly sternly arguing about a stupid foglight, which after the bumper has been off is most likely has a poorly seated connector.

I finally put it back on track, and let him know hey guy, let's talk about resolution. You're making excuses, I'm not buying them, but we need to make forward progress. I'll own up to the trim bits not being replaced. I don't see a line item for it in the estimate that I signed, and I wasn't explicitly clear about fixing them. He offered to try and paint them and match them to the center one, but we both know it'll never match, so don't waste the effort. I'll buy them and you install them. Done.

Lower bumpers will be fixed. No if's or butts about it. Here's the text where it was explained to me that the price is this price, even as a friends and family deal. So honor what you said. I will not budge on this.

I am to provide a fog light bulb, which they will install. What a hill that guy died on. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Trim moulding ordered, and I'll yank the bumper off and fix the OAT sensor and clip the fog light in myself.

·
21,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
I have a busy week and didn’t feel like rolling around on the ground. Friends shop took it in, relocated the air temp sensor to the secondary air pump so the body shop won’t screw it up again. AC works now

Gas Motor vehicle Machine Cylinder Auto part

Oh and he seated the connector on the fog light and it works. Funny how that turned out.

·
11,517 Posts
LOL

·
11,517 Posts
381 - 400 of 408 Posts