VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

changing wheels for the winter

789 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Eric @ TIRE RACK 
#1 ·
Ive noticed for those of you in cold weather, people change to their crappy wheels for the snow, what exactly would happen to your nice wheels in the snow. Im cosidering buying some forged tt wheels but it would be hard for me to switch for the winter due to storage issues. So how bad will wheels get screwed up. The car would be outside...If it will completely screw up the wheel with the salt thats out there, i might consider renting out storage for my wheels since i have no storage where i live.

#3 ·
Re: changing wheels for the winter (drew1.8t)

if you really want to protect them, take 'em off for the winter; and if you store them in a garage, keep them as far away from the car as possible (and maybe in a plastic bag); the salt in a garage can get to the stored items (that's how stored motorcycles and bicycles get pitted in the winter); where do you live?

#5 ·
Re: changing wheels for the winter (drew1.8t)

What if you slide in to a big old curb with your nice wheels? There's the real question. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Some of us over in the A1 forum switch our bumpers for the winter too. Euro ones (plastic) just won't cut it in a 5mph bump where the metal US spec will. Salt will damage them too. Aluminum is a lot more corrosive that steel. It may not rust but it sure does oxidize. You also get less winter traction with the generally wider tires on the larger wheels. Protect that investment and run the steelies. More joys of winter time.

#6 ·
Re: changing wheels for the winter (HyKlas)

Salt shouldn't do much damage as long as you wash the car fairly frequently. 17" wheels don't have enough rubber to protect them against big pot holes and it's more difficult to get good snowtires for them. You can get by just fine with 17" wheels and all season tires with good tread.... you just have to drive very carefully. Of course, I run Nokian Hakka Q's on 15" steel wheels. I have no interest in driving carefully.

#9 ·
Re: changing wheels for the winter (mdeleo3)

I bought a set of 4 used OEM 15" wheels in the classifieds here for $75. I sprung another few bucks for the used OEM wheel covers.
If I hadn't found wheels in the Vortex classifieds, I would have started calling junk yards. There should be quite a few crashed MKIV's around by now. Many people will only need to scavenge 3 wheels since they already have a 15" steel wheel on their spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.