VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating for some time now what to do next in regard to performance. I know that there are many people who choose the NA all-motor route over forced induction, but I was wondering whether the two are mutually exclusive - in other words, would it be a waste to shell out $1000+ for a BVH and then throw on a charger (i.e. C2 Stage 1 - just checked out the thread floating around - very nice).
Will the gains of the big valve head be mitigated by the charger?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: Charger & BVH - mutually exclusive? (sebastianjbauer)

Not at all. Better flowing head = better power NA or FI.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Charger & BVH - mutually exclusive? (cheebs)

Quote, originally posted by cheebs »
Not at all. Better flowing head = better power NA or FI.

Thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
That's what I like to hear!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

In any situation where extra power is being made, you need the flow to help that extra airflow along. even if you decide you don't like SC or decide to go turbo, the BVH is great no matter what. Especially with NA guys, it's a necessity.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: Charger & BVH - mutually exclusive? (ReiHenMotorVR6)

Quote, originally posted by ReiHenMotorVR6 »
In any situation where extra power is being made, you need the flow to help that extra airflow along. even if you decide you don't like SC or decide to go turbo, the BVH is great no matter what. Especially with NA guys, it's a necessity.
honestly ,i have proved that statement wrong so far. until my new bvh is done then we will see how much better the bvh is.i am still running stock valves in my head.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Charger & BVH - mutually exclusive? (billyVR6)

Alright - that's some good info for a start... my plan is to go with a BVH first and then save up for the C2 Stage 1.
So what about cams? I know a lot of you guys are running stock cams with FI, but should the cams be upgraded in order to make the most out of a BVH?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: Charger & BVH - mutually exclusive? (95' GLX VR6)

no , bvh will make more power than a stock head. ive made more power from a head with extensive porting over a bvh.when properly done together , should make serious power.now if only i could get my valves sometime this year

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Re: Charger & BVH - mutually exclusive? (race-shop joe)

if u do cams...i believe youd want either schrick 248 FI cams ( is that right?) or DSR 256's. There isnt much overlap with them.

if u decide to stay NA...most people will recommend schrick or CAT 268 cams. bill and joe have posted many dynos comparing stock, to shrick 276's to 268's and such. just about every time the 268 cams made the most power throughout.
i think those dynos used the stock head? i dont remember...kinda long time ago

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Charger & BVH - mutually exclusive? (Spec3VR6)

Quote, originally posted by Spec3VR6 »
if u do cams...i believe youd want either schrick 248 FI cams ( is that right?) or DSR 256's. There isnt much overlap with them.

if u decide to stay NA...most people will recommend schrick or CAT 268 cams. bill and joe have posted many dynos comparing stock, to shrick 276's to 268's and such. just about every time the 268 cams made the most power throughout.
i think those dynos used the stock head? i dont remember...kinda long time ago

This is pretty interesting... http://vr6dyno.cjb.net/

·
Registered
1,906 Posts

that website has some good stuff on it. nice references

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by sebastianjbauer »
So what about cams? I know a lot of you guys are running stock cams with FI, but should the cams be upgraded in order to make the most out of a BVH?

Anyone...?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Cams will improve your top-end power for sure, at the expense of low to midrange torque. The added grunt from the BVH should partly compensate for that. Once you're FI this is all a moot point.... back to stock cams.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: (cheebs)

Quote, originally posted by cheebs »
Cams will improve your top-end power for sure, at the expense of low to midrange torque. The added grunt from the BVH should partly compensate for that. Once you're FI this is all a moot point.... back to stock cams.

Agreed, you don't want the overlap of cams when you go FI http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts