VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im looking at buying a MKII GTI with a G60 swap. the charger and clutch both need replaced or the charger need rebuilt.. now i know the stock charger sucks balls(or so i hear) so i was wondering what a good charger to get for it and clutch. i wanna spend no more than 1k in parts. now the charger still puts out boost but not too much

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Charger question (Misfit)

well i doubt you're gonna find nothing but a used (questionable) charger and clutch for 1K.
If you're lucky you can score a good core (or maybe your's is a good core) and rebuild it. but thats gonna prob set you back close to that 1K margin if theres any damage to it.
Nothing wrong with a rebuilt g60. The rebuilders are quite skillfull at fixing some of the worst damage.
take the g-lader apart and show us pics of the inside and we can tell you wassup on the repair bill for that (or if its junk). you'd be surprised. My charger went to like 3psi, and after some crafty work by jwatts its back to 15psi.. Two strips went buh bye off the displacer. Was repairable still..
Mr die grinder and dremel tool probably made up for the repaired portions of the displacer as it makes 10psi @ 3000rpm with two strips cut back which is not bad. Just needs a 62mm pulley(hint joe).
Clutch? if its an 020 you best find something tough, they are considerably weaker than the o2a for some reason. guess the small size difference really matters.
i hope you're getting a super bargain on that car cause if you spend $2K fixing it you'll be in the "norm"

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Charger question (mrkrad)

you could spend $1k on charger rebuild/port and $1k on tranny rebuild/clutch. any cheaper then that and you're getting a really good deal, doing it all yourself, or getting crap parts.
you could always get the charger freshened up with strips and grease, new clutch, 2nd syncro and oil in the tranny so its fine to drive.. should come in around $1k.

·
Banned
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Charger question (itchyG60)

i can get the car for $1,500 car has 100k miles on it but the engine only 60k. the guy is sellin the car on the tex.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Re: Charger question (mrkrad)

We rebuild and port for less then 900 if it helps. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Charger question (AXISMODE)

i mean i dont mind if the clutch and charger is like 1200 i just dont wanna go too far over. i am a college student u know

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: Charger question (Misfit)

If I coulda got away with that for the WHOLE CAR wen I did my car in college...Ida been set. My swap was $5000 for the motor intalled. Id go for it.

·
Banned
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Charger question (DubG60)

im going tomorrow to check it out. althought i dont know how to drive a stick hes gonna do the drivin. i know its sad but hey its a free ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts