VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30,139 Posts
If adopting syrup-laden customer service techniques sells more cars, why not?
Disney's success story is indisputable.

·
Registered
12,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If adopting syrup-laden customer service techniques sells more cars, why not?
Disney's success story is indisputable.
I just wonder if it has gotten this bad, are the salesperson already hired too far gone.....

But i guess if they want to keep their jobs they will turn it around real quick

Anyone hear deal with these alleged bad California salespeople?

·
Registered
30,139 Posts
All sales people suck.

With Chevy, I've still found salespeople stuck in the '70's -- big guys with loud sport coats used to pushing Caprices trying to sell Cruzes. Same issues with Ford dealers.
They could all be re-trained for the 21st century, though going Disney could be extreme...

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
So in case you've never been, Disney offers corporate "team building" packages. I've been with several companies over the years, and you go to learn things like better communications, better ways of listening and working together for win-win, etc... All the regular stuff you get from a corporate conference.

The problem here is that Chevy is behind on sales in the largest market, and they are doing everything they can to catch up. Blaming the salespeople and trying to re-educate them may be one part of a multi-faceted approach to improving sales. As much as I think Chevy has great product, their image is still recovering and this is pretty much generation 0 for the new Chevy while everyone else has matured branding with clearer messaging.

Not to mention SoCal has considerable trends towards import and foreign cars.

On the other hand, I bet Chevy trucks are still making a killing.

·
Registered
12,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as I think Chevy has great product, their image is still recovering and this is pretty much generation 0 for the new Chevy while everyone else has matured branding with clearer messaging.

On the other hand, I bet Chevy trucks are still making a killing.
I am just curious how the other domestic brands salespeople do in California even if they have better sales than Chevy

Does Chevy have the worst screening process when it comes to hiring? Why werent the other GM brand salespeople mentioned. What is it about the Chevy salespeople that they need the most attention?

At the end of the Day whether Chevy salespeople are dressed up like Minnie or Mickey Mouse does it just come down to product............and Marketing?

In regards to your marketing comments.....i think the current Volt advertising is doing more harm than good. Especially the one where the guy is at the Gas Station and people are asking why is they there :confused:

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Almost immediately upon entering a Chevy dealership, it becomes apparent that the people working there are from a less-educated segment of society. I'm far from a snob (my favorite channel is Spike TV), but sometimes I wonder how GM can let some of the people working in a Chevy dealership represent them. Of course, not everybody working for Chevy is like that, but I've had some pretty ridiculous experiences with sales, service, finance, etc. Enough so that I am not even really considering getting another Vette as my next car

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Almost immediately upon entering a Chevy dealership, it becomes apparent that the people working there are from a less-educated segment of society. I'm far from a snob (my favorite channel is Spike TV), but sometimes I wonder how GM can let some of the people working in a Chevy dealership represent them. Of course, not everybody working for Chevy is like that, but I've had some pretty ridiculous experiences with sales, service, finance, etc. Enough so that I am not even really considering getting another Vette as my next car
My GMC dealer is tied to my Lexus dealer, so I don't have to venture to Chevy for Trucks/SUVs. My experience with GMC has been phenomenal, so perhaps that's why I assumed Chevy wasn't doing so bad at that level?

But is just sounds strange to me that of all the factors that go into the dealership and manufacturer's success - that Chevy is the sole company doing it wrong on the personnel level??

I mean, it could be true - but I'd thnk the real problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I know the general manager of a local chevy/cadillac dealer. In conversation one day he simply spouted: "our customers dont buy nissans or toyotas, and their customers dont buy chevy". Seemed simple enough, and Pretty much completely against what gm is attempting to do.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
What a useless article.

Are Chevy dealership salespeople undergoing a Disney program or are Chevy regional employees doing it?

·
Registered
25,384 Posts
GM is in serious problem in California. GM put all of its retail eggs in the Saturn dealers in California and neglected investment in Chevy and Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealer network for the better part of the 1990s and 2000s. During this period, GM systematically moved its best dealers, usually the large corporate chains (e.g. Penske, Autonation etc) in the urban and suburban areas of California into Saturn and Cadillac stores, and left the under-performing, often mom and pop franchisees with aging owners to run Chevy and B/P/G dealers. When the rug was pulled from under Saturn, GM's retail sales market share in California plunged to low single digits - composed virtually entirely of Escalades and fullsize pickup trucks.

GM is basically re-launching the Chevy car brand from scratch in California.

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
I thought much of the same visiting a Ford dealership where the office cubby for the sales rep who assisted me had pin up girl calenders and posters of Mustangs and Pickups. He also showed zero interest in the Fiesta I was looking at and spent our time trying to talk about trucks or the Mustang. That and he brought up sports. I'm sorry but sports is not a universal bonding topic between males and any attempt to shove that at me is an instant turn off from any experience.

I think Chevy, Ford, and Dodge at some level suffer from the success of the full size pickups and the type of salesmen who best sell these vehicles may not be able to switch gears to different type of shoppers. While my sales rep may have excelled at selling trucks to paint stained blue color workers his low brow attitude me really turned me off to the dealership.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Perfect match for their customer base?
*runs*

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
All sales people suck.

With Chevy, I've still found salespeople stuck in the '80-'90s -- big guys with loud sport coats used to pushing Silverados & Tahoe's trying to sell the Sonic, Cruze, Equinox, new Malibu. Same issues with Ford dealers.
They could all be re-trained for the 21st century, though going Disney could be extreme...
Fixed that /\ for ya ;) and I disagree with Ford, and Chevy dealers never sold the Caprice to anyone other than governtment municipals. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I thought much of the same visiting a Ford dealership where the office cubby for the sales rep who assisted me had pin up girl calenders and posters of Mustangs and Pickups. He also showed zero interest in the Fiesta I was looking at and spent our time trying to talk about trucks or the Mustang. That and he brought up sports. I'm sorry but sports is not a universal bonding topic between males and any attempt to shove that at me is an instant turn off from any experience.

I think Chevy, Ford, and Dodge at some level suffer from the success of the full size pickups and the type of salesmen who best sell these vehicles may not be able to switch gears to different type of shoppers. While my sales rep may have excelled at selling trucks to paint stained blue color workers his low brow attitude me really turned me off to the dealership.
Subaru's dealers are similar, although we eventually found one that was good to work with. Before we got our '11 Outback we went to a few different Soobie dealers. It was annoying how many of the sales people showed no interest on talking about the two cars we were interested in at the time (Outback & Forester) they kept bringing up Rally haritage, the WRX & STi etc...

·
Registered
5,168 Posts

No offense intended but you sound a little too anal about things if you're going to get offended if another man is trying to talk to you about sports. I don't see anything wrong with pin up girl calendars or Mustang posters either

When I was criticizing Chevy dealerships it was because I have found a lot of Chevy employees to be incompetent and/or just plan stupid, but your list of complaints sounds like you are looking for things to criticize. You are interested in buying one of the cheaper cars sold in the US, what do you reasonably expect from the dealership?:confused:

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
No offense intended but you sound a little too anal about things if you're going to get offended if another man is trying to talk to you about sports. I don't see anything wrong with pin up girl calendars or Mustang posters either
It all depends. Not very "professional" or family friendly. How does a female shopper feel in that environemnt? Or even a female co-worker? Pin-Ups represent s-e-x, and not everyone wants it from a car salesman at 10 am, Tuesday.

The sports topic is also touchy, because as noted - not everyone is a sports fan. So if I say "yeah, I'm not really into that" -- you don't continue talking about it. I'm here to buy a car - not tickets and a hot dog.

When I was criticizing Chevy dealerships it was because I have found a lot of Chevy employees to be incompetent and/or just plan stupid, but your list of complaints sounds like you are looking for things to criticize. You are interested in buying one of the cheaper cars sold in the US, what do you reasonably expect from the dealership?:confused:
Since I'm at a car dealership, I'd expect professionalism, courtesy, and tact in helping me spend twenty thousand dollars. Especially if I'm renting for $550/month -- that is a hell of a lot of money. More than "I" will see after a year's labor, and at least 20 times more than "I" (the consumer) have in my savings account.

If Chevy doesn't take themselves seriously, no one else will.

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
GM is basically re-launching the Chevy car brand from scratch in California.
This is what was saying earlier - they are at Generation 0 for the "New Chevy" and have a lot of ground to cover in terms of defining their brand and message.

Months ago (maybe even a year ago?) we had a similar discussion and I've been saying it makes most sense to drop the Silverado and all large/Body on Frame SUV / Vans from the Chevy nameplate and move them all to GMC. Silverado could become a trimline, and Chevy should focus on all the passenger car based vehicles (compacts, sedans, CUVs, coupes, sports..).

That would draw the line clearly as to what it is the Chevy brand represents. Right now, as stated by others recently - you've got the guy trying to sell you the biggest and baddest bro-dozer also trying to figure out how to sell you on the compact and effienct econo-box. It's a tough sell, and it doesn't always work.

One the other hand, Toyota does it. How is it they can sell Tundra and Sequoia right alongside Camry, Prius, and Yaris? Maybe there's something inherently different about the sales culture at both companies?

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
One the other hand, Toyota does it. How is it they can sell Tundra and Sequoia right alongside Camry, Prius, and Yaris? Maybe there's something inherently different about the sales culture at both companies?
I don't know - I really seem to find all dealers the same. One thing I do like is going to the Toyota dealer to get the Corolla serviced. I don't know why, I just seem to enjoy my time there. I wonder through cars and sales people aren't bothering you to death.

I went to a Ford dealer to test drive a Fiesta and basically got the run around. They told me they don't like letting someone test drive who isn't "serious" about buying and then quickly came out and said the car has sold just now, "sorry".

I'm sad they squandered their chance to get an import driver into a Ford. Sadly for them, Honda threw me the keys to whatever I wanted - so did Toyota. I don't forget that, Ford.

I also find at my Kia dealer they (sales men) have a tendency to get talking to me about other car companies and start a little bash fest. I get it, you like Kia...

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I'm sad they squandered their chance to get an import driver into a Ford. Sadly for them, Honda threw me the keys to whatever I wanted - so did Toyota. I don't forget that, Ford.
I haven't been in a Toyota or Honda dealership in years, but my most recent experience with a Ford dealership seems to have been the opposite of yours - I inquired about the only 5MT 2012 Focus they had on the lot, the salesman handed me the keys and a dealer plate and told me to have fun. He didn't even make a copy of my license.

I came back with a huge grin on my face and placed an order three days later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts