VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like everyone else, hates the fact that my flares and bumpers chaulk up and turn white after a week no matter if I use Armour All, Back to Black, Black Chome..etc......didn't want to shoe polish them - so I bought a tube of Griot's Garage bumper and trim dye - similar to forever black i believe.....well the directions suggested a paint prep cleaner to get all the crap off the trim - i used some dupli-color wax and grease removal paint prep - and seemed to work pretty good.....but doing both steps takes forever.....and you really do have to clean the plastic well or the dye comes out uneven.....and I had to re-coat the plastic probably 2 times to make it look even..still may need some touch up....the applicator works ok but you get a lot of dye sometimes.....anyway - if you have patience this seems to work ok....only time will tell if it holds up more than a week...the bouns is that 2 whole + coats and there is a ton left to use later - and the paint prep cleaner takes it off if you mess up - here are some before and after pics.....

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (JettaManDan)

I found some Meguiar's trim stuff that rocks. I've only used it once and it did a great job, only problem I had was I ended up driving in the rain the next day and the area where the water came around the fender from the front of the car washed off somewhat

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (1987&2001Jettas)

quote:[HR][/HR]I found some Meguiar's trim stuff that rocks. I've only used it once and it did a great job, only problem I had was I ended up driving in the rain the next day and the area where the water came around the fender from the front of the car washed off somewhat[HR][/HR]​
i tried that stuff too - works well - but still wears off after a while - i just want to have the trim darker for a longer time - I have no problem re-Armour Alling frequently, i just want it to be dark grey.... not white after 1 week.....

·
Banned
2,329 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (JettaManDan)

yea it sucks
trick to using armor all is.. dont use a cloth or ull*[edit] typo* use tons... use a sponge... ill use maybe a small capful for the whole car trim and bumpers.. seriously.

[Modified by Tbird Pimpistik, 1:32 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Banned
13,062 Posts

kiwi leather dye is the shyt...now if I can only find some more. WalMart was out last time I checked.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (Electron Man)

quote:[HR][/HR]kiwi leather dye is the shyt....[HR][/HR]​
Tried that, didn't work for my trim...

·
Banned
2,329 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (LitleDee032)

i dont think ALLLL vw mk2 trim and flares/bumpers are made of the same material..
my 92 has this beaded effect to it..
ive seen older models with like a rubbery kinda look to it..
its weird...

·
Registered
948 Posts

I used Plasti Kote's bumper paint #216!I did mirrors,bumpers and fender flares!Shines like a son-of-a-bitch too,especially when I put Black Magic on them!

·
Banned
11,608 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (VDubU2)

try some silicone spray.......
spray on..... let the plastic absorb it..... spray some more on...... nice and black
won't hold forever, but is great for shows

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (Tbird Pimpistik)

quote:[HR][/HR]all is.. dont use a cloth or ull*[edit] typo* use tons... use a sponge[HR][/HR]​
I've found that using those dishwashing sponges with the handle that fills with detergent is perfect for applying the stuff to your bumpers & trim.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (Dutchman)

Yeah, I used WD-40
Sprayed it on thick (no red straw) and rubbed it in with a clean cloth, then did it again and rubbed it in some more, then another wipe down with a different cloth.
So far it's been...... uh 1.5months and it's still black. I did it on my rabbit which in theory, has older plastic and should go whiter faster but it hasn't. I used it on my rubber side mouldings too and worked great there too. Best of luck

-Sean

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Re: Chaulky Flare and Bumper problem.....tried bumper Dye...pics inside. (Dutchman)

Why don't you want to use leather dye? worked well for me....
Anyway, let us know how long it lasts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts