VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having deep thoughts on wether keeping my 8v and modify it or buy a 2.0 16v and modify.. what do you think is the most affordable/best way to do this?
pic for views....

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Re: Cheap engine performance? (compakt)

all right I figure your going to keep the car for a while......my thoughts are that if your going to do a swap bypass all of the 16v and go VR or 1.8t more bang for the buck then a modded 16v but thats just my $.o2

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cheap engine performance? (Motorwerks)

see thats the thing, im on a TIGHT budget and i really really cant afford a vr right now nor within next few years. so i figure i should get a 16v and mod up from there!

·
Registered
5,257 Posts

prolly wont cost much more in the long run and any 8v/16v cant hold a candle to a 1.8t's arse......they are just to strong inless you go turbo or something...or get into really big bucks and with all of the programing and new parts the 1.8t's are endless....but just a stocker is going to haul in a little A2

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Motorwerks »
my thoughts are that if your going to do a swap bypass all of the 16v and go VR or 1.8t more bang for the buck then a modded 16v but thats just my $.o2

I agree too. The 1.8t has the most potential.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Cheap engine performance? (euro90gtx)

a typical 1.8t swap cost atleast $4800

i owe a really big debt to my parents, so i cant afford that..
back to 16v or 8v LOL

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Re: Cheap engine performance? (4word)

You will be more than happy if you drop in a healthy 16v.
Broken record...but if you have the money, do the 1.8t. So much potential.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Cheap engine performance? (PerfectGLi)

i remember the first time i ever rode in a 89 gti 16v.. i loved it all so much

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Motorwerks »
all right I figure your going to keep the car for a while......my thoughts are that if your going to do a swap bypass all of the 16v and go VR or 1.8t more bang for the buck then a modded 16v but thats just my $.o2

Actually, it's more bang for MORE buck. Yes, a 1.8T or VR6 will get you a rocket, but you have to buy the engine, the tranny, and any other front end suspension parts involved. That's some SERIOUS cash. Then, if you don't know how to do it yourself, or you can't get cheap work done.... then to have the swap done costs a LOT of $$$$.
I would look into driving your 8v, while collecting parts to build a better engine. I personally have a 1.8L 16v that I am building into a 2.0L bottom end 16v, with the 1.8L head. It'll take some time, but at least you don't have to dump SERIOUS amounts of money into it right away. Now remember, most of these amazing project cars you see here and in PVW, take up to 5+ years to complete. I mean, read PVW some time. Those guys have had their cars for like 10 years.
Take your time, think about what you want, and slowly piece it all together. It's a lot more complex than you think, so make sure you know which parts you need as well. Good luck man! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Re: Cheap engine performance? (gti_driver5)

Quote, originally posted by gti_driver5 »

Take your time, think about what you want, and slowly piece it all together. It's a lot more complex than you think, so make sure you know which parts you need as well. Good luck man! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

best advise you could have given him,,,,
be patient, i know i wasnt, but i was lucky....
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Re: Cheap engine performance? (gti_driver5)

Quote, originally posted by gti_driver5 »

i 2nd that, i'm going to be starting a turbo project and i keep looking for each part seperately and one at a time, so all in all you could prolly build a bigger project when you're all done if you just wait and but each piece one at a time when you have enough money for it
Noah~(Kameirocco)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

I would like to add that realistically, there aren't many low mileage 16's out there anymore. The newest would be out of a '92. So, there's gonna be money involved there too. Your cheapest swap route would be to put an aba bottom under your digi head and go from there. Another reasonable option is a whole aba swap w/ a MkIV intake. Gobs of torque. There are plenty of low mileage ABA's out there now and they've been out long enough that the price has dropped. Just something to consider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts