VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through a lot of threads here but I havent seen a thread that answers my question. Can I get a hold of any OEM ballast and just buy the bulbs from autolamps online, it says 200 bucks for the H4's is that for two? I just don't know anything about the bulb and ballast connection, the ballast is just a computer controlled transformer? Ah hell someone show me the light, thanks.

·
Administrator
87,828 Posts
Re: Cheap HID's (OdorCide)

No, you can't. And I'll tell you why...
Generally speaking "aftermarket" HID bulbs (ie. all halogen-based bulbs) have two wires coming out of the back to hook into a ballast.
OEM Ballasts have one HD black cable with a red, circular end cap that screws onto the OEM bulb. This is a different connector.
Now, autolamps (and others) use OEM ballasts with these aftermarket bulbs but they cut and splice a new connector on. I would not advise you to do that as they are 23000 (yea, three zeros there) volts in that connector and if you don't do it perfectly with the right tools/materials you'll RUIN that ballast.
So, do what you want. Technically you can do it but you'd have to splice a new connector onto the OEM ballast. I thought I could do it but I ended up with a ruined ballast b/c I couldn't find a wire that could hold 23000 Volts.
Later,

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cheap HID's (nater)

Quote, originally posted by nater »
No, you can't. And I'll tell you why...
Generally speaking "aftermarket" HID bulbs (ie. all halogen-based bulbs) have two wires coming out of the back to hook into a ballast.
OEM Ballasts have one HD black cable with a red, circular end cap that screws onto the OEM bulb. This is a different connector.
Now, autolamps (and others) use OEM ballasts with these aftermarket bulbs but they cut and splice a new connector on. I would not advise you to do that as they are 23000 (yea, three zeros there) volts in that connector and if you don't do it perfectly with the right tools/materials you'll RUIN that ballast.
So, do what you want. Technically you can do it but you'd have to splice a new connector onto the OEM ballast. I thought I could do it but I ended up with a ruined ballast b/c I couldn't find a wire that could hold 23000 Volts.
Later,

Thats the answer I was looking for, thats just to much trouble to save a couple hundred bucks, thanks man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts