VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've recently done a search for a cheap 2.0 turbo setup but havent quite got the answeres I wanted.
I would like a cheap turbo setup for a MKIV 2.0. when I say cheap, I mean I'm not looking for alot of hp. Any little gain would be worth it.... being a 35 hp gain woudl be ok in my books.
So saying that, could one build such a simple setup. Are there simple direct bolt on turbos out there, either new or off a stock car in the junk yard that will fit my engine or is it much more complicated?

· Registered
3,736 Posts
Re: Cheap MKIV 2.0 turbo? (Arin)

man you want cheap you can build a 5 psi non intercooled setup, run a small saab t3, ATP chip and fmu, me personally i probbaly could manage to do this for about $1500, as can any otehr DIY'er on here, unless you wanna pay me
I'll do it for cheap
but youre looking at 1000-1700 or so non intercooled, even intercooled depending on how good you are at making stuff, and finding cheap used parts online

· Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Cheap MKIV 2.0 turbo? (2kjettaguy)

Quote, originally posted by 2kjettaguy »
I don't think it could be done for $500...
I've got a nice kit I'd consider sending your way, but its 6 times more than what you want to spend

Nice kit? didnt your car blow up?

· Registered
246 Posts
Re: Cheap MKIV 2.0 turbo? (Arin)

if u find some one to weld u some pipes and do some other welding stuff it can be done for really cheap.
first if u find the welding guy, u can make a plate that fits the stock exhaust manifold and fit it where the DP was, weld a U shape pipe to it and on top of that weld a turbo flange to fit the turbo to.
buy a T3 from junkyard or ebay "bought mine for $40", get an IC from G60, Mazda RX7, SAAB, supra whatever u find on ebay or junk, get G60 injectors or FMU, or extra injectors and EIC. u will need oil feed and return lines and some work here and there, this is cheap and effective. it should fit ur budget.
we have done it.
welding and piping for $200.
turbo for $60.
IC for $35.
piggyback system $200.
colder plugs for $10.
cooler coolant temp sensor for $10.
running 7psi, power increase by like 40% over stock.
goodluck, doing stuff by ur self of friends can save u lots of dollars.

· Banned
2,158 Posts
Re: Cheap MKIV 2.0 turbo? (nabilsx)

Do what I am doing,I am being cheap so I bought a "blow off valve whistle" on E-bay,you stick it in your muffler and when you let off the gas it goe s "peew,peew,peww" JUST LIKE the Greddy -S blow off valve.I can't believe these guys waste there hardearned cash on real turbos and stuff when you can buy the BOV whistle and the plastic "interfooler" that looks like a intercooler but it is plastic and cut in half "so it is skinny enough to put in my Kia or my aunties insane Rav -4.Real turbos suck bro.

· Registered
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Cheap MKIV 2.0 turbo? (nabilsx)

Quote, originally posted by nabilsx »
if u find some one to weld u some pipes and do some other welding stuff it can be done for really cheap.
first if u find the welding guy, u can make a plate that fits the stock exhaust manifold and fit it where the DP was, weld a U shape pipe to it and on top of that weld a turbo flange to fit the turbo to.
buy a T3 from junkyard or ebay "bought mine for $40", get an IC from G60, Mazda RX7, SAAB, supra whatever u find on ebay or junk, get G60 injectors or FMU, or extra injectors and EIC. u will need oil feed and return lines and some work here and there, this is cheap and effective. it should fit ur budget.
we have done it.
welding and piping for $200.
turbo for $60.
IC for $35.
piggyback system $200.
colder plugs for $10.
cooler coolant temp sensor for $10.
running 7psi, power increase by like 40% over stock.
goodluck, doing stuff by ur self of friends can save u lots of dollars.

Hmm, interesting. My friends dads business may actually be able to do welding work and I may be able to talk more with a local guy who builds up turbo vw's all the time. Sounds like this could be a possibility.

However, when I think about it... the time involved in such a project on my daily driven car would prolly make my efforts not quite worth it. So... What about a cheap supercharger? Seems liek quite a bit less work....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.