VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: Cheap oil cooler option (SlickG60)

the adapter plate would probably be different............ thats cheap for the rest of the stuff

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: (Slvr6Dub)

I used a $40 universal kit made by Perma-Cool bought through Summit Racing. Never had an issue with it. I could run at 100mph and never see more than 200-204 after sustained high RPM's. Typical oil temps were 180-190. Mounted immediately behind the grill.
The cheaper kits don't have a thermostatic sandwich plate, they just have an open sandwich plate - so it takes a little longer for your car to warm up since oil always passes through the cooler no matter how cold it is. This never bothered me though. If you lived in a very cold climate this might be a little more frustrating.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: (URIN 2ND)

give us the part # of that $40 perm a cool thermostatic unit. I'm down with that. I'm sure windage tray and larger oil pan might help too but getting rid of that water exchange milk-shake box is something we will find in the coming years will become a major problem.
Once the water and oil milkshake you risk the externally oiled blower and the motor (blowers being more expensive to fix).
The primary event that makes the water/oil exchanger important is for cold weather folks, you need to get the car hot to trot as fast as possible, to avoid the cold start damage due to richness. And for tree/leg huggers it decreases overall emissions.
I'd guess that 80% of emissions in the last 10 years was the cold start.
Hell even the mullet mobile switched to a pup converter and a main cat in order to light off a smaller converter faster to meet the various stages of required emissions (LEV,ULEV,etc).
you saying $40 with thermostatic sammich plate pretty much all ready to go? Where do i sign up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Re: (mrkrad)

Quote, originally posted by mrkrad »
give us the part # of that $40 perm a cool thermostatic unit.
you saying $40 with thermostatic sammich plate pretty much all ready to go? Where do i sign up.

No joke! I need one too. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Re: (Baci)

you can look on ebay for a volvo oil cooler that is what i did, it is a nice size. not sure how it works yet i don;t haev it on. my temps are between 185 - 204 with my turbo setup so i have not even put it on yet

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: Cheap oil cooler option (SlickG60)

dont know if you noticed or not, but it says its for air cooled vw's. Doesnt say anything about water cooled. im assuming this matters.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Re: Cheap oil cooler option (Einzig)

i noticed this too...why would it really matter tho? I'm gonna be using a Volvo sandwich plate adapter anyway

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I picked up my turbo volvo oil cooler (thermostatic BTW) for Free-Ninety-Free at the local U-Pull it.
I did however, dump $100 into Aeroquip BSP fittings & hose to make it work...

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Re: Cheap oil cooler option (Einzig)

Quote, originally posted by Einzig »
dont know if you noticed or not, but it says its for air cooled vw's. Doesnt say anything about water cooled. im assuming this matters.
Im sure eveyone noticed and Im sure no one cared......What exactly do you think an "aircooled" oil cooler does as opposed to a "watercooled" oil cooler. Were talking about OIL here and not how the engine is cooled. An oil cooler is an oil cooler...air passes over fins and cools the oil. Do you know what happens when you assume

1 - 15 of 15 Posts