VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know insurance depends a lot on where you live, but I was just wondering what some of you think some of the cheapest cars to insure..
The car MUST be under 10 years old.
Thanks for your opinions!
~Aaron.
EDIT: The car must also be UNDER $5,000 So I'm looking at some cheap, reliable cars.
My budget is tight, and im running out of decent cars to look at. Should I swallow my dignity and go for some Kia, Hyundai or something ball-less like these?
(Added pictures :-D)

Modified by Sw1tch at 8:37 PM 1-7-2004

Modified by Sw1tch at 8:40 PM 1-7-2004

Modified by Sw1tch at 9:32 PM 7-8-2004

· Registered
12,885 Posts
Re: Cheapest (Insurance Wise) Car (Sw1tch)

Quote, originally posted by Sw1tch »

Bwahahahahahaha
But to answer your question, there are a lot of cars in that class. Just think of the most boring realiable, yet not in demand(for theft rates) car.

· Premium Member
31,821 Posts
Re: Cheapest (surefooted)

a used malibu must fit the bill here.
i'm sure they're not stolen much, there no enthusiast crowd (well, there probably is
) - and the parts are likely so cheap that theft isnt a great way to make money.

· Banned
12,965 Posts
Re: Cheapest (Sw1tch)

When I talked to my insurance guy about it he said there are like 6 groups or something, with Supra turbos and 5.0 mustangs being in the worst category and Caprice's and Taurus's being in the cheapest category.
Suprisingly my insurance agent told me last week that it will cost me as much to insure my Miata as it would a used Altima - I give my thanks to old people that drive Miatas responsibly (don't you go dyin' on me!) and the fact kids my age don't like them.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Cheapest (FiveAinOne)

Call your insurance company and ask them about the symbols on the cars. This is a determinant in figuring out relative rates.
My old 95 Acura Integra LS 4-door was a 15 if I remember correctly. My new 1998 328is will be a 24 (out of 28!). A 1996 Saturn SC2 is an 11. A 2002 Passat GLX is an 17. A 2003 GMC Sierra is a 13.
Performance bargains? 99 Mazda Miata, 14. Volvo 850 Turbo, 13!
Ben

· Registered
28,732 Posts

Ask your insurance company what the rates will be if you got various kinds of cars.
You can get a general idea from http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl.htm (look at collision and theft for collision and comprehensive insurance; look at injury if you have auto-medical insurance). But different insurance companies and different areas may have different ratings for a given vehicle than the IIHS general rating.
Generally, station wagons and vans tend to do well in insurance loss ratings, while two door cars tend to do worse than four door cars. Bigger cars tend to do better than smaller cars (but expensive lower risk cars can still be expensive to insure). Some of these effects may have a lot to do with driver demographics, as opposed to the characteristics inherent in the cars.

· Registered
28,732 Posts
Theft rates from the IIHS

According to IIHS data, the lowest theft cars include the Buick Park Avenue and Le Sabre, and the Volvo V70. The Buicks have theft loss ratings of 10 (where the average is 100), while the Volvo V70 has a theft loss rating of 12. Other low theft vehicles include the Mercury Grand Marquis (17), Saturn L-series (20-28), Honda Odyssey (24), Oldsmobile Silhouette (25), Buick Century (28), Saab 9-5 (29), Chevrolet Venture (30), Subaru Legacy wagon (31), Saturn S-series (33-37), Buick Regal (36), and Saab 9-3 (36).
High theft vehicles include the Cadillac Escalade (1099), Chevrolet Corvette (390-492), Lincoln Navigator (409-464), BMW X5 (438), BMW 3-series convertible (416), Lexus IS300 (387), and Audi A4/S4 Quattro (361).

· Registered
35,288 Posts

cheap to insure?
find the lightest weight possible vehicle with the lowest possible performance from the engine. and try to find one that isn't driven by high school kids that like to pile 5 friends into them then go 100mph into a utility pole.
in other words, no VWs, Nissan Sentras, or Honda Civics... think cheap, think weak, and think American/Domestic.
obin

· Registered
25,446 Posts
Re: Cheapest (3WheelGTi)

Quote, originally posted by 3WheelGTi »
1993 Ford Crown Victoria....done!

Put Thule bars on it. Everyone will get out of your way in the left lane because they'll think you're a cop car.
You also can buy a much newer one at your price point. The owners die off so they're easy to find for a song at estate auctions.

· Registered
35,288 Posts
Re: Cheapest (3WheelGTi)

Quote, originally posted by 3WheelGTi »
1993 Ford Crown Victoria....done!
The larger and more boat-like you go, the cheaper.

actually, the problem you'll find is that often insurance goes by the weight of the vehicle too. think this way:
"if we insure this kid, and he hits another vehicle... how much are WE going to have to pay those people... that 2200lb Ford isn't going to do as much damage as that 3800lb Ford."
at least that's the way my agent (Allstate) explained it to me.
obin

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.