VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
4,971 Posts
Re: Check boost leak? (docturnal)

like i said before... a boost gauge... do you have one? this will let you compare your car to the normal and see what the deal is... otherwise go under the hood and listen for hissing or buzzing while the car is on.... and grab all the black hoses and make sure they go to where they are going...nice and tight.

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Re: Check boost leak? (turbovw18)

Even tho this is an old thread, i want to bring back....
even with a boost guage, how can you know if you have a boost leak. for example: say there's a minor boost leak on the lower intercooloer hose, so the turbo pushes a little bit harder to compensate for the loss. thus, the gauge reads the boost level with the compensation for the leak. now, the problem is that the gauge won't tell you if the leak is present, since the turbo has already "corrected" it.... with the faster spinning turbo, now there's more stress, wearing it just a little bit faster.
so back to the original question... how do find that boost leak?

*oh, and boost leaks sometimes don't make sounds....???

K

· Registered
3,918 Posts
Re: Check boost leak? (SlowDalPangEe)

you would know by your boost gauge if you had a leak, but i'd check all your vaccum and boost hoses and make sure they're all tight, also check for cracks in those hoses. I just fixed my boost leak and it was a crack in my boost gauge hose, the tube from the intake manifold running to the boost gauge. hope that's an answer you were looking for...

· Registered
720 Posts
Re: Check boost leak? (Grogthefrog)

i plan on doing this tomorrow, since i seem to have either a boost or a vacuum leak. my boost guage no longer reads 20 inhg at idle all the time. sometimes 18, sometimes 20. i think i have a leak somewhere. also, i have been seeing 20 psi spikes, and i know i shouldn't be seeing that since i only have a chip, dv, intake, and the stock n75. maybe i have a boost leak or a vacuum leak, or maybe my boost guage sucks, and i need to replace it...

· Registered
3,918 Posts
Re: Check boost leak? (MacPhstoU2)

Quote, originally posted by MacPhstoU2 »
and i know i shouldn't be seeing that since i only have a chip, dv, intake, and the stock n75. maybe i have a boost leak or a vacuum leak, or maybe my boost guage sucks, and i need to replace it...

huh?
If it spikes at 20psi, then that is correct, did you think that is too high? with a chip you should be seeing spikes at 20 (maybe 19, 21,22). If you had a vaccum or boost leak, the needle on your boost gauge would be acting funny, ex: needle shaking and not sitting in one spot, you'll notice pressure seriously decreases as you get higher in the rpms, if there was a vaccum leak you could also see wierd vaccum readings at idle, like sitting idle, instead of reading between 21-18 it may read 5.

· Registered
720 Posts

i actually did think that was too high for just a chip. i talked with the guys that installed my chip and they mentioned that the new program (apr 2.0) boosts less than the original 93 program, but i am seeing more boost, not less. if what you're describing is what happens when there is a leak somewhere, then i do not have a leak- maybe my guage is inaccurate by a few psi.

· Registered
3,918 Posts

sounds like you're fine, but i wouldn't really know. gauge could very well be reading slightly off a psi or 2. but 20psi doesn't sound too high, does it even spike at 20psi in every gear? or just 20psi in 4-6 gear? I bet 1-3 you probably only spike around 17-18???

· Registered
720 Posts

you are correct, in gears 1-3 i see a lesser spike. i think my guage is slightly off.

· Registered
3,918 Posts

it's the programming of the software, down low in gears, you don't necessarily want full boost as so you can hold the road better. 4-6 gears you'll spike slightly higher and hold maybe 1psi higher. SOUnds normal to me and sounds like your gauge is reading fine.

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Re: Check boost leak? (1.8T4eva)

as long as we're speaking on boost levels and such, someone tell me if this is normal for my car.
337 (AWP) with Samco Hoses, Carbonio Intake, Forge DV, GHL 2.5" TB.
Peek anywhere from .89 Bar (13.1 PSI) to 1.12 Bar (16.5 PSI).
And Hold anywhere from .63 Bar (9.3 PSI) to .80 Bar (11.8 PSI).
Is this normal? I know that the Samco Hoses kick up the boost that the engine receives by a little, but isn't stock from 7-10PSI? meaning I hold higher than stock peeks? Keeping in consideration the amount of boost fluctuation, could it possibly mean I have a boost leak (if fluctuation is a sign of boost leak)?
thanx guyz...
K
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
111 Posts
I was asking a very similar question to the original in this post earlier.
Now I am beginning to think that my Boost Gauge may be cheap. It hisses as boost increases. Would a better boost guage (autometer) be better/accurate?

· Registered
532 Posts
Re: Check boost leak? (SlowDalPangEe)

if you have a leak, you would not be boosting more, so I doubt you would have a leak. If you see a fluctuation in the vac during idle, it might most likely mean you have a leak. If you have a fluctuation(needle moving up and down) while boosting that will most likely means you are surging.
Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.