VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last several days when I pull out of my driveway the CEL flashes of/on while switching gears. When at a stop light, it goes of.
While the light is flashing, the car feels as if it's losing power and shakes a bit. The problem only seems to happen every now and then, and goes away after the car has been driven for a while.
I'm under the certified warrenty and will be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow. Based on the symptoms, does anyone know could be going wrong?

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light Flashing on a 2001 VR6 GTI (pete420)

Don't know, that's what a vag-com is for... but if it is FLASHING it means something serious usually. Get it in, get it fixed... esp if you're under warranty still.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Check Engine Light Flashing on a 2001 VR6 GTI (digitalhippie)

Thanks. According to what I've been reading here, it may be a bad coil pack. I'll post tomorrow to update after taking it to the dealer.

·
Banned
32,385 Posts

sounds like a coil-pack failure,mine did the same thing....

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light Flashing on a 2001 VR6 GTI (lsinlv)

Mine threw a flashing CEL last week. I vagged and got multiple random misfires on 3 and 5. I revagged a week later and nothing. I sprayed over the coilpack at nite, I saw no sparks from arcing. I guess it was a bad batch of gas...I am replacing plugs and wires anyhow, I am due at 82.5K miles.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light Flashing on a 2001 VR6 GTI (ROCKnRLR)

Quote, originally posted by ROCKnRLR »
Mine threw a flashing CEL last week. I vagged and got multiple random misfires on 3 and 5. I revagged a week later and nothing. I sprayed over the coilpack at nite, I saw no sparks from arcing. I guess it was a bad batch of gas...I am replacing plugs and wires anyhow, I am due at 82.5K miles.

I had a similar problem. My car was misfiring in cyclinder 5. Replaced the plugs and have been good since.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light Flashing on a 2001 VR6 GTI (ROCKnRLR)

Quote, originally posted by ROCKnRLR »
ECS wires should arrive tomorrow!
RocknRlr, I just got black wires from ecs. When you put them in the slots make sure you are very careful cause a couple of my wires got little slits in them from putting them back in the factory slots. They seem to be a tad bit bigger then the red OEM ones. These are made by the same company but a little larger if you get the back ones. If I did it again I would file a little of the tabs off so i didn't put any holes in the outer cover. I have had zero problems just giving you a heads up.. The other day I had a flashing CEL for about 3 minutes. Seems maybe I have a bad coil pack also or maybe some mositure got somewhere it wasn't supposed to be. It has been really humid here lately so I am thinking thats the culprit.. I am going to spray my coil pack though and see if I see any arching. I had this happen before afcter washing the engine bay so thats the reason I am thinkiong moisture. Then again moisture and a bad coil pack equal CEL..
Peace all, let us know the findings

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Got the GTI back last night and as expected, it was a bad coil pack. They replaced it at no charge because it still fell under the certified program...blabla...but initially were going to charge me about $700 bills. F*ers!
Thanks for everyone's help with this.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts