VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Indicator Malfunction Lamp (Engine Light) came on today. The car seems to drive normal. I checked the gas cap, it's tight. I checked the oil level, it's good (I just changed the oil 3 days ago). The dealer said to not to worry and it's alright to drive and to bring it tomorrow!
Is it alright to drive it to the dealer (~15 miles away). Does anybody have an idea what could be the problem?
I have an 02 jetta 1.8T ~35K miles (already had the coilpacks replaced)
Thanks,

·
Banned
2,122 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (moonlight)

Please calm down, its probably a dumb purge valve or something.
Drive it in if it has oil and its not running hot.
oh yeah coolant is important to.
guess? if it drives fine its probably emmisions or minor sensor problems.
Go BOSCH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (03wolfie)

if the check engine light is blinking dont drive it if it is steady youll be fine till its checked by VW

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (moonlight)

Believe me, it's alright to drive it. My CEL has been on since August because of something related to the chip

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (Bubbleburner)

Quote, originally posted by Bubbleburner »
If it blinks will it cause major damage ?????

It may not cause major damage, but it will be stumbling and stuttering if you try to drive it. You definately don't want to fool around with the blinking CEL

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (trbogti)

i had mine come one once and it was for a clogged air filter and snow screen...really dumb
second time it came on was because the MAF went bad (recalled)
then it came on once more for who knows what reason. I drove to Indianapolis and it came on then a week later it went out so i just dismissed it.
basically have it checked out but it probably isn't anything important

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (trbogti)

Quote, originally posted by trbogti »

It may not cause major damage, but it will be stumbling and stuttering if you try to drive it. You definately don't want to fool around with the blinking CEL

Dont worry about it that much. My light blinks every morning when I start the car. Then stops blinking after like 10 min. Everyone here has once driven with the light on. Get used to it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (B_TitusJr)

It happened last week, It was blinking as soon as i pulled in the driveway. I hit the gas and it was putting.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (GTImkIVR6speed)

The blinking CEL is usually caused by misfiring. Driving with the CEL can cause permenent damage to the catalytic converter, that's why it's recommended that you don't do so. Driving with the CEL solid is fine. Just get the car scanned for codes at your earliest convenience.
Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (Bubbleburner)

The light in my wife's 2001 GTi(A/T) was on when we came from San Diego yesterday. Before the light was on, I did feel some "hesitation" when I accelerated hard in 3rd gear at 5000rpm,
Anyway, it went off today...
I was thinking to go to Autozone to ask them to get the code for me...now, it's ok...

Thanks for all information..this is really a great site
Jason

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light ON! (pickupjason)

I'd still go and have the codes scanned. The CEL came on because there is some type of problem. The fact that it went out on it's own doesn't mean that the problem is fixed, it only means that it's intermittent. The code(s) associated with the CEL will remain in memory until they're cleared intentionally, so you have plenty of time to get to the AutoZone.
Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts