VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting a chk engine light over the past few weeks. I take it to the dealer and they get a sporadic code - Too Rich at Idle. They state that it Maybe my K&N filter, but b/c I have had it on for 25k miles I really doubt it. Could it be that the K&N may need a cleaning. The dealer also stated that they are going to try some fuel injector cleaner. I do not know what that is gonna help, 25k mile on an 00' GTI that has never seen below a 92 octane and gets regular store bought fuel injector cleaners. Can anyone else help me, what else might this be. I immediately thought MAF, but the dealer did not think that was the problem.
J

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light - Too Rich at Idle (Jeguzik)

I think their lying because they don't want to pay for it. I have a 2000 Jetta with 62300 miles and my car was throwing too rich and too lean codes. It was my MAF. Got it replaced, and everything was back to normal. I have other friends that have had the same problem. The mileage on their cars were under 15 hundred. Our MAF is a well know defect from all over the VWVortex forum. I would suggest maybe getting a second opinion and calling Volkswagen of America. The number can be found in the back of your "how to take car of your car" manual.
Good luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light - Too Rich at Idle (boraman)

Is the MAF still covered after the 2 year B2B warranty?? Cuz I have the same problem....code says I'm running too lean due to additive air. The dealer told me it was vacuum leaks and they replaced some O-rings.....needless to say, it didn't fix it!!!
Thanks!
vince.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light - Too Rich at Idle (Jeguzik)

I had this too, and the light went out today, just as I fired up the car to take it too my friend's who has the VAG diagnostic tool. I went anyway, and I got a code 1138-too lean.
My friend stated it probably wasn't my K&N, but I could've gotten a bad tank of gas-which is possible too...

[Modified by JR!, 5:31 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light - Too Rich at Idle (JR!)

I'm getting similar information when I scan my wifes 2000 GLS VR6. From what I read on the Vortex back when the search feature worked points to a bad MAF. Mine fits the profile, 2 months out of warranty and only 24,000 miles on it.
I had the following codes thrown:
17536 Fuel Trim Bank 1 System too lean
17550 Load calculation cross Check Lower Limit Exceeded
Intermitent
16485 Maf Sensor G70 Implausible Signal
Intermitant
all but the infamous 17536 have cleared themselves.
previous posts also pointed to a vacum leak somewhere, but i'm not sure how to check this myself. I was avoiding taking it into the dealer just yet, as they would probablly try and charge me for the visit being out of warranty. I also seem to remember reading that the problem is not always the MAF persay, but the wiring and or the connector that connects to the MAF that causes it to go bad.
Anyone have a lead on where to get a new MAF cheap?
Anyone ever hear of a dealership replacing the MAF after the B2B was up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light - Too Rich at Idle (cvisel)

Yup, thats the code I got.....17536....One of the test from the VAG said that the Secondary Injector test "failed or incomplete". Does anyone know what the secondary air injector does? The Bentley's doesn't seem to say much about it.
At first I thought it was an O2 sensor, but after I replaced it myself, the light came back the next day.....I hope its not the MAF, but all signs are pointing that way. Would a dealer have a tool to test the MAF? I don't want to replace it until I have to....
Also, I've read in an old post that someone tried to clean the sensor themselves...but I can't find it cuz the search is down.
Funny thing is that I have a 2000 VR6 too, I guess whatever part it is, its got a useful life of 2-3 years http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
cheers,
vince.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light - Too Rich at Idle (need_a_VR6)

I just VAGed it again, looking for the O2 that you spoke of in there. I am a VAG novice, I borrowed the VAG tool from a coworker and I don't even have a Bentley yet, I still haven't decided if the paper manual is better than the CD, I mean chancees are you are gonna have your laptop out there with the VAG Tool anyway right? but it costs a bit more.
Anyway, I assumed I was looking at a "measuring block" I cycled up to 60 and then decided I might as well wait til I have a manual. Does the manual really havae infomation like what blocks the different sensors reside in?
I now have a 4th code, and this one puzzles me because it seems to conflict with my first code.
17545 Long term fuel Trim Add Fuel (Bank 1) System too Rich
35 10 Intermittant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.