VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have a black Alltrack, I am not a fan of all the silver highlights across the car. They don't work IMHO and prefer a more single colored car.
I have done the work to completely blackout all silver across like 17 locations, but one remains: The Rear Valence (by the exhaust).
I actually DO like a little bit of color there as I think it is a bit sporty. The question is...what should I do with it?
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

I am leaning towards doing a slightly darker gray color, perhaps an Anthracite Gray (see pic further down).
I could also do a red border to match the GTI-inspired red in the front.
I did a mockup in photoshop. Any opinions/preferences?

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Audio equipment Font Auto part Liquid Peripheral

And yes, it would be nice to have the Golf R Variant valence, but I don't think I want to drop that much money and effort on this. Plus I will cut it open to add a tow hitch eventually./

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm not a fan of the silver on the roof rails and window trim, but the grey on the front grill and rear valance makes the car look better as it gives bit of contrast, especially on a black car - maybe do a darker shade of grey, but not black. Personally, I'd leave it original, but that's just my opinion. Ultimately, its your car - do what makes you happiest.

Reactions: VWSixSpeed

·
Registered
'17 Alltrack SE
367 Posts
Personal opinion… feel the rear red stripe is a bit too Subaru. What’s that crappy model they have out now that the bumpers are all awkwardly edged in red if you get the slightly less crappier sport edition. Yuck. Trying way too hard.

Feel that pop of red from the rear reflectors ties it all together nicely.

And I’m a sucker for consistency, and would use the same color as the side skirts and front bumper on the back. No need to bring yet another shade of black/grey into the mix.

Excellent work and I applaud your OCD to the black out life! Big fan of the side skirts and front lip darkened, and that long window trim! Nicely played.

Reactions: VWSixSpeed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your opinions. I really like when people are honest with their own preferences.

ORE_PDX you are thinking of the Forrester Sport, which I also think looks pretty dumb with highlights that are out of place.
I think you have convinced me that a red line on the rear makes little sense.

I am still not sure if I'll go black, dark silver, or keep it silver. The nice thing about plastidip is that it fairly easy to remove.

I plan to do it in months from now when I do a trailer hitch install, so I still have time to think about it.

If others have opinions, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
ORE_PDX you are thinking of the Forrester Sport, which I also think looks pretty dumb with highlights that are out of place.
I think you have convinced me that a red line on the rear makes little sense.
Not sure about the US, but here in Canada, we had a STI that had pinkish-red trim like that around the rear bumper as well just a few years ago 🤮😅

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,281 Posts
I like the black option but throw in the red line via photoshop and see what that looks like. Could be pretty dope. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2018 Golf Alltrack SE
12 Posts
I'm a big oem+ kinda guy, and I really enjoy the silver accents on my alltrack. I feel like it adds a luxurious contrast to the plastic cladding. With a black car though, I understand where it might seem off. I would go dark gray to blend in with the cladding. Painted black, esp. gloss might look cheap and is more likely to chip. Like others mentioned, I'd stay far away from the red lines, keep that in the grille.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I like the top 2, darker for your car but would prefer the lighter color match on a different color. I don't mind a bit of silver either but didn't do my front or back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts