VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it myself with some PVC, 1 quart of fiberglass body filler, and about 20 sheets of sandpaper. Thanks to Jman500 and GTI_MATADOR for the idea, and onefastveewee for the steering column cover!
Tell me what you think.
Prior to painting

After painting

Update! This isnt mine, but it may soon be in production. It is a RAW prototype. I couldn't legally mold mine and sell it because I would have to use the original VW part to make the mold. However, I CAN buy the originals and alter them
But this may be a good bit cheaper, and easier to install. THIS IS ALL THE INFORMATION I HAVE FOR NOW. So dont ask for more info
. But rest assured fellow vortexers, I will do my best to make all info I have available as soon as I get it.

[Modified by SlvrBllt, 1:41 PM 4-16-2002]

[Modified by SlvrBllt, 1:43 PM 4-16-2002]

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Re: Check out my custom gauge install! (SlvrBllt)

damn! you should sell the design!! sweet job!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

edit: does it light up???

[Modified by ri-v-dub, 2:28 AM 4-1-2002]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Check out my custom gauge install! (Deception)

quote:[HR][/HR]Now you can make a batch of these and sell them on the Internet for some side income.
[HR][/HR]​
If there is an interest I have a guy that works for a large plastic company that could reproduce these...

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Re: Check out my custom gauge install! (Mannn)

quote:[HR][/HR]this thing is slick!!!!! too bad boost gauge is not too useful for me... (vr6...)[HR][/HR]​
it could be...turbo charge that bad boy...

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Re: Check out my custom gauge install! (vtgolf)

I think that is a sweet design!! I would like to know more about running the wires and boost tube. (problems it there were any running the wires?)
Is it possible to have two pods made for the same position?
Approx. cost?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Check out my custom gauge install! (SlvrBllt)

Thanks for all the compliments guys! This is the first time I have done anything like this. I am still surprised at how well it turned out. It took me about 8 hours to make. Mostly time waiting for the filler to dry so I could sand it. Now that I know what I am doing, I could do it in half the time. So if you are good with this stuff, go for it!
quote:[HR][/HR]what paint did you use...i already done this install like 2 months ago but i cant get the paint to match....flat black??? help...
[HR][/HR]​
I used the cheapest stuff Home Depot had. I sprayed from about 12-15 inches in VERY light coats. The lighter the coat, the flatter the sheen will be. It has about 4 coats with light scuffing between coats.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Check out my custom gauge install! (ri-v-dub)

quote:[HR][/HR]
edit: does it light up???

[Modified by ri-v-dub, 2:28 AM 4-1-2002][HR][/HR]​
Yes. It is red for now. I bought a blue bulb out of the rice section at discount auto, but it glows green
My batteries dies before I could get a night shot. But it looks pretty sweet in red.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.