VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Re: Check this out, 32 Inch Subwoofer! (mannyo1)

Remember that scene from that movie Singles when the guy installs a new sound system in his girlfriend's car and proceeds to break all her car windows because of its sheer power? Hmm....

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

hmm, looks a bit photoshopped to me.
EDIT: ok, NM, i found other pics of it on the 'net.

EDIT pt.2: but it's the same photo from above.

[Modified by jaydub, 12:48 PM 2-14-2002]

·
Registered
490 Posts

Audiobahn has that one beat..... 34" subwoofer :
AWT34

Specs:
650oz Double Stacked Strontium Magnets
Power Handling: 5000 watts R.M.S.
Frequency Response: 10Hz – 400Hz
Efficiency: 88.9dB
Bolt Tight Motor Structure
PHAT 2 Inch Foam Surround
Titanium/Aluminum Cone
5 Inch 4-Layer AVS Voice Coil
Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coils
1 Ohm or 4 Ohm Operation
Mounting Dimensions: Depth; 12 Inch Diameter; 34 Inch

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Check this out, 32 Inch Subwoofer! (EuroFan)

Try the return to menu link towards the bottom right for some more of their project cars. Including the Toyota MR2 that thinks its a ferrari

·
Registered
128 Posts

Great pix above! As an ex-Bass Player, I can supply a few "Weird But True" facts...
1. Morita, head of Sony Japan, was WAY into ultra-pure home audio, as are many Japanese folks [Class A Tube Amps, etc.]. Reportedly, Morita's Tokyo living room WAS the enclosure, and he had an 8' speaker overhead in the ceiling. The room was designed around the speaker requirements. Dbs weren't the point; distortion-free purity was.
2. In the late '60s and '70s during many Student and Labor riots in France, the French Police used ~5 Hz at high volume out of conventional Bass P.A. enclosures mounted on half-tracks. ~5 Hz, as explained to me fully by an ex-CIA wacko Engineer I met, cramps the stomach and makes one crap your pants involuntarily. Everything - including the various muscle, bone and tissue mass of the Human Body - has a resonant frequency and there are charts out there noting the resonance of the Abdomen and - yes - some important, um, female body parts. Low Hz was a nice passive way to take out a block of rioting Students, the French found. With heavy material dampening, you can make the bass cabinet on the half-track fairly directional, and aim the subsonic "audio" down the street block, dropping thousands to the asphalt.
This ex-CIA Engineer offered to mix some moderate-level subsonics into our live band mix that would "heat up" the females in the crowd without them knowing why. He said we would be the next Beatles, etc.. Unfortunately, we're talking tenths of Hertz here. So, 5.5 Hz makes the French Students crap their pants, and 5.7 Hz gets all the females hot to trot [examples, not actual frequencies ;-0]. You'd have a real mess on your hands if you didn't get the frequency just right. We passed on his offer.
Other frequencies are well-known to shake apart by resonance the seams or "Sutures" in the plates that hold the skull together, as some poor Lab Monkeys know too well [by Db-induced death]. Those frequencies are tough to make into a weapon, however, that don't also kill the audio weapon Operator. This project was abandoned in the late '60s.
3. I personally experienced this sub-sonic theory at "The L.A. Forum" in a '70s Led Zeppelin concert. At the end of the song "Kashmir", they kicked in some massive subs [then a very new concept] and put out the song's repetitive bass line several octaves lower than what's on the disc. It's hard to describe, but chaos broke out. It was an EXTREMELY unsettling sensation, and some people literally started running for the Exits after about 15 seconds, just to escape this sensation of high Dbs coming from all around you, but shaking you "apart". This validated to me the "science" of what the French Riot Police knew to be true: low Hz affects you viscerally, not through the ears. This wasn't a matter of folks just not having heard good subs before. It really was disorienting, making a few folks hurl on the spot.
4. Having said that, compared with my old Bass rig of 2 - 18" and 2 - 10" speakers run biamped with a kiloWatt, some of the best Bass tone I ever got was out of an old Fender cabinet with 4 - 10"s. The tuning was right and the cabinet matched the job to be done. Nice Engineering in that cabinet. Larger speakers are GENERALLY harder to dampen, control and keep from sounding sloppy. This simply validates what many here already pass along in their Posts: matching the cabinet and trunk cubic volume to the speaker and job to be done is one way to get shakin' bass.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Re: Check this out, 32 Inch Subwoofer! (RJetta8V)

I experienced #3!

It was the Page/Plant tour (about 5yrs. ago?) when they released the new No Quarter CD, They had a guy with an electric hurdy gurdy. It's like bag pipes with a crank instead of a mouthpiece, they gave him a solo and Plant said it produced the lowest notes of any man made instrument. They weren't kidding, I was in the nose bleed seats and I couldn't see for a minute. I don't mean blurry vision, I mean that 4 a.m., drunk, can't hold my head up, gonna puke and pass out couldn't see kinda thing.
It was freaky and cool at the same time, mostly when it was over!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Check this out, 32 Inch Subwoofer! (RJetta8V)

RJetta8V ~
Yep, conventional equipment can and has definitely been used to reproduce VLF [Very Low Frequency] tones. Some tricks to be aware of..
1. Commercial subs can and will do the job [that's what the French Police used]. They simply are not quite as efficient at outputting, say, 7 Hz as they are at outputting 30 Hz. But, they definitely will. Sub output drops off some at VLF frequencies just as surely as they do at "mid" frequencies [high frequencies for a sub].
2. Make sure the subsonic protection in the amp is either turned off or otherwise disabled, since you WANT the amp to pass through >2~3 Hz tones. Subsonic roll off amp circuits are included on the assumption that amplifying these frequencies - which can heat up an amp over long time periods - are undesirable. In these experiments, low frequency tone amplification is the point.
3. As a low frequency source, you need to score an old Oscillator "box", like you've heard making warbly tones in the background tracks of old Sci Fi movies. They'll have a big dial on them that will roughly indicate the subsonic [and sonic] frequency being output. These subsonic tones we're talking about have to output continuously, as in a ~7 Hz sine wave. They can't be just the "thump" of kick drum pedal coming down at high sub volume. See the "hurdy gurdy" story above about the Page/Plant tour. It sounds like Page/Plant have a long term fascination with VLF over several decades; not a bad thing!
A good electronic or MIDI keyboard should be able to output subsonics as well.
At some point, as with the very low tones output by huge Church organ bass pipes, you'll be able to individually hear and "count" the sine wave pulses comes from subsonic tones as they start to go below the frequency response of the average human ear <18 Hz or so. As you continue to "experiment", you'll be able to see the sub cone making the individual excursions back-and-forth at, say, 7 Hz, etc..
You can do all this with a sub in free air, but having the sub in a big ass cabinet will help focus and direct subsonics. The speed of sound is around 1116 ft/sec., so the open "E" low string on a Bass guitar is ~42 Hz, or ~27 feet long for one sine wave excursion of that tone. The sine wave of 7 Hz is ~160 feet. So, your "subjects" may not feel anything until they are 1/8 or 1/4 wavelength away. I.e, farther away than the back seat of your Jetta
However, as the hurdy gurdy story above illustrates, the closed enclosure of a small car with a large sub and amp at subsonic frequencies will definitely have physical effects on the subjects. Not your intention, I'm sure...
Plus, as I mention above, it's tough for the Operator to not be affected also by high Db experimental sounds. You may wind up browning out too, not to mention blowing out glass and causing some permanent loosening of inaccessible car parts that Dynamat won't cure.
Given the physical effects described above at a concert, be sure to have your volume control and/or power kill switch nearby. Your head will be spinnin' when subsonic Dbs get cranked! Try em at moderate volume first, while sober.
Since it's Declassified Research by now, I'm sure that these old subsonic frequencies and the body parts they affect most are out there on the Web somewhere. You might start by backtracking and seeing what the monsterous sub above with the red magnet assembly is being used for, and by whom? You're gonna find that there's some outrageous old subsonic Research out there, so have a good time.
The first guy to add in the "right" subsonics to the mix, output through subs and amps that can handle it, will promptly start winning Audio System Competitions real quick. The Judges probably won't know the Physics of why a particular system kicks ass; they'll just like what they hear. Whether or not the mics and measurement equipment used at a given Competition will be able to "detect" the Db increase that subsonics add is another story...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Check this out, 32 Inch Subwoofer! (Medvedik Jr)

wow engineer guy, thats some REALLY cool stuff. rjetta was wondering becuase i have a 15" square kicker and bd1000 and we wanted to try some of this stuff =]

any more tips you can give us on getting the sound to a cd or something so we can play it would help! btw, i was wondering....im assuming that it would take a second for all those side affects to kick in...so wouldnt distortion be a major problem in trying to implement this in a regular car stereo environment anyway?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Check this out, 32 Inch Subwoofer! (viperstyx)

for those of you who are trying to research this like me:
Low frequency noise is not clearly defined but is generally taken to mean noise below a frequency of about 100 to 150 Hz. Noise at frequencies below about 20 Hz is sometimes referred to as infrasound and this type of noise presents even greater difficulties in its measurement and assessment. At these particularly low frequencies complainants often have difficulty in describing the source of their complaint, sometimes referring to "feeling the noise" or to "pressure sensations".
so try searching for infrasound instead of just VLF
update on research, thought car guys would like this:
When turns are made at 60 miles per hour, car chassis vibrations produce a peak infrasonic emission. Travel sickness can be associated with prolonged infrasonic exposure to any vibrating chassis. Cars, buses, trains, motorcycles, and jets alike each register hazardous intensities of infrasound. Each transportation mode has its characteristic infrasonic pitch, the necessary outcome of mechanical frictions and inertial resistances.
UPDATE #3:
Study reveals that the sudden shock wave of an explosion propels a complex infrasonic signal far beyond the shattered perimeter. Incoherent though such shockwaves may be, their destructive influence dissolves distant walls and windows seconds after the shrapnel has done its deadly work. Objects of all shapes, sizes, and compositions explode when the infrasonic impulse passes through their space. No shield can block infrasound. Physicists have studied the refuse which remains after an explosive charge has been detonated. Few materials can maintain their integrity.
so you prolly shoudnt do this in your car =]
UPADTE #4
The findings of Dr. Gavreau in the infrasonic range between 1 and 10 cycles per second are truly shocking. Lethal infrasonic pitch lies in the 7 cycle range. Small amplitude increases affect human behavior in this pitch range. Intellectual activity is first inhibited, blocked, and then destroyed. As the amplitude is increased, several disconcerting responses had been noted. These responses begin as complete neurological interference. The action of the medulla is physiologically blocked, its autonomic functions cease.
and im gonna start posting links:
http://www.borderlands.com/archives/arch/gavreaus.htm
UPDATE
Picture the scenario. You're walking through a busy city street when a disturbance breaks out. Suddenly, you're engulfed by a mass of heaving bodies. You struggle to escape, but find your way blocked at every turn. Amid the chaos, you hear the sound of approaching police sirens. When the officers arrive, however, they are not carrying the usual riot shields and batons; they have only what look like large speakers, held out at arms length Suddenly, you feel as if you cannot breathe; your head is pounding as you stumble to your knees. Overcome by nausea, you try to get up, but are engulfed by a feeling of intense anxiety and cannot move. As you lie there, vomiting uncontrollably, those around you are dropping like flies. In the end, the entire crowd is writhing in agony as the police wade in to make arrests. In the aftermath of your ordeal, you recover completely, but one question remains: what caused the devastating physical effects you experienced? You were not hit by a rubber bullet, you saw no tear gas or other noxious substance in the air. So why did so many people fall to the floor as if overtaken by some crippling disease? The answer is simple. You and those around you had fallen victim to a new and terrifying weapon - infrasound.
http://www.projectfreedom.cng1.com/deadly_silence.html
UPDATE
Vladimir Gavreau seems to be the head honcho for infrasound research, he worked for the french

[Modified by viperstyx, 2:32 AM 2-16-2002]

·
Registered
52 Posts

That 32" kenwood wouldn't work too poop hot, the cone will weigh too much for a conventional magnet to move, and it looks like the old clarion 32", they just changed the cone to their stupid tornado. Being plastic I believe the cone would weigh too much. Box size would have to be enourmous. An 18 needs roughly 6 cubes or above.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts

When It comes to bass, no one cares really about using it as a weapon. All you are really discussing is the frequency at which our body parts resonate. What tou really aought to no is the CR FACTOR. Clitoris Resonance. Is roughly 30 to 38 Hz.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.