VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling ambitious and would like to check and probably change the tranny fluid/oil/whatever the hell you wanna call it on my GTI (5 speed obviously). How can I go about doing this? What do most people use in their trannys?
Also, isn't there some kind of alphanumerical designation for my tranny? Isn't it 02A or something? Gimme a break, I'm semi-new.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Re: Checking tranny fluid (GolfmkII)

on the front of the trans there is a allen hex plug(17mm) when you remove this plug lube should start flowing out, that's when you know that the fluid level is where it should be, to drain the lube there is another plug just like this underneath the trans

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Re: Checking tranny fluid (708VR6)

Two Harbors? A buddy of mine is from Knife River. Last time I was in that area (a couple months ago) I left my debit card at Grandma's in Duluth after opening up about a $200 bar tab and didn't realize it until I was 1/2 way back to the Minneapple.
If you have any grinding (esp. 2nd or 3rd), changing your fluid out may help. I know I'm due. Now that it's cold out again I've had to start double clutching going into 2nd before the car warms up.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Re: Checking tranny fluid (SmartAssRacingTeam)

Quote, originally posted by SmartAssRacingTeam »
The Bentley says that changing the fluid in a manual transmission isn't part of the scheduled maintenance because it is a sealed system. I can get the exact verbage if you want it.

if it were a "sealed" system there wouldn't be a fill and drain port...automatics are considered sealed as well and yet to fill them you use the port or hole where the speedometer cable/sensor is located...and yes VW does say they are sealed, but, they aren't

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Quote, originally posted by 708VR6 »

if it were a "sealed" system there wouldn't be a fill and drain port...automatics are considered sealed as well and yet to fill them you use the port or hole where the speedometer cable/sensor is located...and yes VW does say they are sealed, but, they aren't

I was just relaying what is in the manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.