VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an older set of wheels that the clearcoat is peeling off of. I want all of the clearcoat gone b/c it looks pretty bad. can i get this stuff at discount auto parts? also, do i need to buy something else to make it shine after i strip all of it off or will that not matter? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: Chemical Stripper to remove clearcoat on wheels? (vwsteve)

Isn't the clearcoat on the wheels for a reason? If not I will do the same to my wheels and remove the CC... Once it starts going it looks pretty DAMN bad IMPO...

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Re: Chemical Stripper to remove clearcoat on wheels? (gqjeff)

I know a lot of people have used something called aircraft stripper, or something like that. I've seen it at local car parts shops.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Chemical Stripper to remove clearcoat on wheels? (Zoso)

well i used a wheel cleaner today not meant for wheels with clearcoats b/c i heard it strips the clearcoat and it didnt work at all. I also bought some mothers metal polish for the after product which i havent used yet. the clearcoat is looking awful...it is in some places but isnt in others and looks very uneven and bad in my opinion. I just want to strip the clearcoat and polish and buff it up so they look nice ...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: Chemical Stripper to remove clearcoat on wheels? (FSUJetta)

what would happen to the wheel after the clearcoat is removed? Anybody know?
If nothing I will be taking my clearcoat off also...

·
25,221 Posts
Re: Chemical Stripper to remove clearcoat on wheels? (gqjeff)

corrosion, pitting, general nastiness
Quote, originally posted by gqjeff »
what would happen to the wheel after the clearcoat is removed? Anybody know?
If nothing I will be taking my clearcoat off also...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: Chemical Stripper to remove clearcoat on wheels? (rs4-380)

What if after you removed the CC if you put a few good coats of wax and cleaned them regularly and didn't run them in the winter? I think if they were pitted they would look better then they do now with the CC coming off... I will never buy another wheel that is CC for sure....

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: (-Pascal)

TTT, will waxing them a few times protect them enough after removing clearcoat? Or what else should I do if I decide to do this?

·
Registered
4,547 Posts

Last car I had (non VW) came with 17's, so some owners were happy with the stock wheels, but as they got old the clear coat yellowed. They stripped the clear coat with that aircraft grade paint stripper stuff and used metal polish by hand (or had them machine polished) and waxed them up. Many polished wheels never come with a clearcoat, you just have to maintain them, polish and wax more often.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: (02TDIGLS)

A super-easy way.. and cheap too.. have them bead blasted (similar to sand blasting but they use little plastic beads, it's real easy on the metal) and then either re-clear them yourself w/a rattlecan or have a bodyshop do them.. Probably would be 10 bucks a wheel to have beadblasted... no labor on your part.. no chemicals... good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

You can get wheels completely refinished for ~$125 each.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: Chemical Stripper to remove clearcoat on wheels? (SlvrBllt)

where may I find a bead blaster? what kind of place? I have a buddy who sand blasts stuff.... Damn they would look so much better before the 4th if I can get this done....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts