VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: Chernobyl vehicle graveyard. some hauntingly beautiful photos. (Obin Robinson)

Awesome thread and pics Obin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Pretty interesting stuff.
Oliver, you worked in a nuclear power plant? you mean we actually have one in this country?

·
Banned
17,866 Posts
Re: (LordJax)

Quote, originally posted by LordJax »
Thoes people and the cameraman do know that chernobyl is still radioactive...right? I mean the half life for some of the waste from the melt down is a few hundred years

Its more like never. Many millions of people still live in areas where there is radioactivity. Most Ukrainian houses have the meters to measure it. Its fine...as long as it doesnt reach a certain levels...
The biggest issue (probably in the world) right now are in the picture below...not exactly the ones (these are from Charnobyl) but many Russian ports have their old nuclear powered cargo ships and submarines rusting away. Even US is getting in on this to try to keep it safe....

Modified by VdubChaos at 12:45 PM 11-12-2004

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,670 Posts
Re: Chernobyl vehicle graveyard. some hauntingly beautiful photos. (VWVancouver)

Quote, originally posted by VWVancouver »
Oliver, you worked in a nuclear power plant? you mean we actually have one in this country?

Worked at the only one in Eastern Canada, the Point Lepreau Generating Station. Its about 90 minutes from Fredericton, on the Bay of Fundy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: (Obin Robinson)

I always take time to look at those pics whenever someone brings them up.
I just viewed them with a co-worker who's young enough not to remember the disaster, and did not know about it.
His quote, "Makes you realize what you've got".

·
Banned
17,866 Posts
Re: (Charles R)

Quote, originally posted by Charles R »
I always take time to look at those pics whenever someone brings them up.
I just viewed them with a co-worker who's young enough not to remember the disaster, and did not know about it.
His quote, "Makes you realize what you've got".

for sure

I remember back in Europe when the winds took the radiation towards Europe...we had to drink this medicine.......yuck, the worst crap you will ever taste.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Re: (VdubChaos)

Quote, originally posted by VdubChaos »

for sure

I remember back in Europe when the winds took the radiation towards Europe...we had to drink this medicine.......yuck, the worst crap you will ever taste.

i can distinctly remember walking home from school in the rain. the weather report said that the rain was ever so slightly contaminated with radiation. this was in upstate NY... 3/4 of the way around the world from Chernobyl!
obin

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Re: Chernobyl vehicle graveyard. some hauntingly beautiful photos. (Obin Robinson)

Does anybody know what the little blue car on the right is? looks neat from the little tiny bit i can see of it.
Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

Also that truck with the treads and snow plow is just mean looking, looks like it could drive through just about anything.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Re: (VdubChaos)

Quote, originally posted by assideways »

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm
about 30 pages on chernobyl by some crazy biker chick. the most recent issue of INTERSECTION magazine did an article on her site, and also talked about the vehicle graveyard. def worth a read.

Quote, originally posted by VdubChaos »

Same link as I posted.....

And a lot of it is total BS. She (& her b/f-husb) 'posed' several of her shots. (propping up dolls, toys,etc..) She posted shots that she didn't take as her own and she just did a standard tour w/ a group, not as the 'Lone Crusading Biker Chick as she would have everyone believe. She didn't get her bike anywhere near the plant.
But, that said, those are some stunning photos.
I really like this one...

Only the Soviets could create something that looks like the mutant child of a bulldozer, tank, locomotive & antique truck as designed by Dr. Suess.

·
Banned
17,866 Posts
Re: (Spindle)

Biker chick or not.....I can care less, she IS in those pics and she did write about it. I found it to be very well writen...and a very good link that everyone should read at least once in their lifetime.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Chernobyl vehicle graveyard. some hauntingly beautiful photos. (s-rocc)

That looks to be a Zaporozhets. A tiny little car with the engine in the back. You can see one in the movie Goldeneye (i believe), when the driver has to hit the engine with a sledgehammer to get it going.

·
Registered
18,602 Posts
I've read it before... and each time I read it again I notice something new. It's even errie reading it. Reminds me of the movie K19 where the two guys are on the deck saying that they heard your hair falls out... nothing too bad. But little did they know.....

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Re: (Spindle)

Quote, originally posted by Spindle »

Only the Soviets could create something that looks like the mutant child of a bulldozer, tank, locomotive & antique truck as designed by Dr. Suess.

No no no, you don't understand...that truck was a normal deuce and a half, but then the radiation got loose, and, well, you get the idea...

21 - 40 of 387 Posts