VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.worldcarfans.org/fi...cruze/ lists some differences between the Eco model and other Cruze models:
Quote, originally posted by worldcarfans.org »
Chevy’s clever twist on the trailing-twist-beam rear suspension includes cast trailing arms welded to a cross-car tube with a center section crimped to a U-shape. Lateral location is via a sophisticated Watt’s link. Various versions of the Delta architecture use tubes with varying wall thicknesses and different orientations of the U-shape. For example, to save weight, the Eco model does without the Watt’s link and orients the U at a 65-degree angle. All other Watt’s-equipped U.S. Cruzes have a 90-degree orientation (Ecos also get thinner-wall trailing-arm castings cribbed from the Volt).
[...]
The Eco model tips the scales one weight class lower than the other Cruzes (some portion of 275 pounds), thanks to jettisoned or lighter sound deadening material, forged wheels, reduced fuel tank capacity, no spare tire, and the aforementioned suspension tweaks.Hence its interior noise levels were loudest of the three Cruzes, though no noisier than the Toyota or Honda on hand for comparison (and this example’s early Korean bodywork may have contributed). Taller gearing blunted the engine’s performance a bit, by comparison with the automatics (the first three ratios are 10-50 percent taller), but it’s no slug and its estimated 27/40-mpg city/highway ratings will probably seem worth a bit of patience when accelerating. (Aerodynamic tweaks like lower-grille shutters, a 0.4-inch-lower suspension, a central bellypan and a rear-suspension aero fence also contribute heavily to that result by improving the drag coefficient 10 percent to below 0.30). The ultra-low-rolling-resistance Goodyear Assurance 215/55R17 tires (borrowed from Volt) hang on with reasonable grip before squealing as the limits of adhesion approach.

Basically a 1.4L turbo engine, different gearing, a lot of lightening, some of which may be considered an upgrade (lightweight wheels) but some of which may be considered a downgrade (less sound deadening, smaller fuel tank, no spare tire, and simple rear suspension), and some aerodynamic changes. Yes, the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (assumed) tires are low rolling resistance, but so are all OEM tires, so that it not terribly special.

·
Registered
Japanese Vacuum Cleaner
5,743 Posts
FV-QR

removing another 275 lbs from an already-small car is pretty damned impressive indeed, but I think ditching the spare tire is a bit much.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Slonie)

Quote, originally posted by Slonie »
Several years later, this is going to be the one to have for showroom stock racing, probably...

The smaller fuel tank (more pit stops for refueling, despite the better fuel economy) and simpler rear suspension might not be as desirable for a racer, though.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: FV-QR (kraut_pauer79)

Quote, originally posted by kraut_pauer79 »
removing another 275 lbs from an already-small car is pretty damned impressive indeed, but I think ditching the spare tire is a bit much.

Well, it is "some fraction of 275 pounds" (presumably the size of the EPA weight class used in fuel economy testing), according to the article. A full size spare tire might weigh 40 or 50 pounds, while a compact spare tire still weighs a significant fraction of that.
At least you should be able to put a spare tire back in if you want one (assuming the storage space is still there). But the smaller fuel tank may mean more frequent stops to refuel, despite better fuel economy. The simpler rear suspension might change the handling characteristics (but then the lightweight 17" wheels and the lowered suspension might also do so in a more favorable direction), and, as the article noted, noise levels may be higher.

·
Registered
83,604 Posts

Considering the small percentage of drivers today that are both capable and willing to change their own tire and the ever larger eom wheel/tire sizes, I'd say the loss of the space saver spare is not a big deal. Most are just going to call AAA anyway.
With the tire pressure monitor system, most should be able to get off the road before a tire goes flat.. unless it's a blowout. Just give them some fix-a-flat and a tiny d/c compressor (but that will weigh something too). Maye some type of special small (light) container of fix-a-flat foam that will expand and allow the flat tire to be driven to the nearest tire store.

Modified by BRealistic at 11:32 AM 4/20/2010

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
Re: (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »

The smaller fuel tank (more pit stops for refueling, despite the better fuel economy) and simpler rear suspension might not be as desirable for a racer, though.

Actually, on a smooth racetrack, it should make little difference.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: FV-QR (BRealistic)

Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »
Considering the small percentage of drivers today that are both capable and willing to change their own tire and the ever larger eom wheel/tire sizes, I'd say the loss of the space saver spare is not a big deal. Most are just going to call AAA anyway.
With the tire pressure monitor system, most should be able to get off the road before a tire goes flat.. unless it's a blowout. Just give them some fix-a-flat and a tiny d/c compressor (but that will weigh something too). Maye some type of special small (light) container of fix-a-flat foam that will expand and allow the flat tire to be driven to the nearest tire store.

Not having any spare mean that even if you call AAA, you must get towed to some place instead of having them put the spare tire on. And if the tire shops are all closed at the time, or the open ones do not have tires for your car, you're stuck. In comparison, with a spare tire, you can drive to a tire shop with the correct replacement tire, or drive to a hotel if you are on a trip and get a flat at night when all of the tire shops are closed.
Also, tire shops really do not like dealing with tires full of fix-flat goo inside. Though if you need to pump up a tire on the side of the road, a manual floor pump like one typically uses on bicycle tires would likely be faster and not drain your car battery compared to a small compressor.

Modified by tjl at 1:31 PM 4-20-2010

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Re: FV-QR (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »

Not having any spare mean that even if you call AAA, you must get towed to some place instead of having them put the spare tire on. And if the tire shops are all closed at the time, or the open ones do not have tires for your car, you're stuck. In comparison, with a spare tire, you can drive to a tire shop with the correct replacement tire, or drive to a hotel if you are on a trip and get a flat at night when all of the tire shops are closed.
Also, tire shops really do not like dealing with tires full of fix-flat goo inside. Though if you need to pump up a tire on the side of the road, a manual floor pump like one typically uses on bicycle tires would likely be faster and not drain your car battery compared to a small compressor.

Modified by tjl at 1:31 PM 4-20-2010

This.
This This This This This!!!111!!!11!1!!!!!111 one one one!

the Gf's G8 doesn't even have a jack, let alone a spare, just a big empty space where they should be, and it's SUPPOSED to come this way (I couldn't believe the lack of jack)
Hey Holden / GM, where exactly am I supposed to get a 245/40R19 when or if she ever gets a flat?
dumbasses, this is 50lbs that every car should have.

·
Registered
44,818 Posts
FV-QR

This is 50lb that 10% of drivers even know what the **** to do with. Spares are irrelevant in this day and age - and we don't know, by the way, if this is going to come with run-flats.
If it matters to you that much, buy a spare from a regular Cruze for $50.

·
Registered
399 Posts

BMW has ditched the spare since at least the E46. MY E46 has a can of fix-a-flat.
It really doesn't matter if tire shops hate fix-a-flat fluid. It is their job to deal with it, regardless of that tires 'contents'. Sorry to tire shop employees, i feel for you, but that is life and it is not fair.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Turbiodiesel!)

I must be lucky, because after about ~600k miles of driving in 24 years... I've only ever had one flat. And it was a slow flat (not blow out).
Just wait. Tomorrow I'll get a flat.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Re: (Slonie)

Quote, originally posted by Slonie »
Several years later, this is going to be the one to have for showroom stock racing, probably...

torison beam rears can actually be decent, esp in a light car, and a turbo 1.4L with lightweight...
...buti'm betting that the gear ratios kill it though from a racing standpoint

·
Registered
20,065 Posts
Re: (purplejettahondaeater)

Quote, originally posted by purplejettahondaeater »

...buti'm betting that the gear ratios kill it though from a racing standpoint

The Eco has a shorter axle ratio (4.18 vs 3.94 for the 1.8-liter). First gear is the same and second isn't much taller, but 3-4-5-6 are a bit taller on the Eco. In fact, the Eco's 5th is the same as the 1.8-liter's 6th. So, off the line it should be pretty close, but at higher speeds the Eco will be a bit slower.
Regular Eco
1st: 3.82 3.82
2nd: 2.16 2.05
3rd: 1.47 1.30
4th: 1.07 0.96
5th: 0.87 0.74
Axle:3.94 4.18
6th: 0.74 0.61

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: FV-QR (XxCoryDxX)

Quote, originally posted by XxCoryDxX »
the Gf's G8 doesn't even have a jack, let alone a spare, just a big empty space where they should be, and it's SUPPOSED to come this way (I couldn't believe the lack of jack)
Hey Holden / GM, where exactly am I supposed to get a 245/40R19 when or if she ever gets a flat?
dumbasses, this is 50lbs that every car should have.

Actually, I know someone with a G8. He ordered from Tire Rack a closeout wheel and tire in the stock size for use as a spare (it fits in the big empty space).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts