1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for those of you in Europe that have seen these cars:
http://www.chevroleteurope.com/english/model_lineup/alero/en_xx_index.htm
http://www.chevroleteurope.com/english/model_lineup/transsport/en_xx_index.htm
First of all, does anyone buy them? Are they consistent with the *look* of a Chevrolet? (Does the Alero over there really still have the Olds logo on it instead of a bowtie?) I'm trying to fathom in particular why GM sent the Trans Sport over as a Chevy instead of just sticking a different grille on the Venture:
http://www.chevrolet.com/venture/index.htm

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (xdre)

Well, the Alero makes no sense to me, except that Chevrolet couldn't possibly make it with something as dreadful as the Malibu so they just borrowed the Alero.
The Trans-sport is there because the Chevrolet Venture would look too much like the Opel/Vauxhall Sintra. The Sintra was a version of this very same Minivan but was cancelled two years ago. They wouldn't be able to make money with the exact same vehicle with a less recognized badge two years on, so they borrowed the Trans-sport.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts

Just a thought...
You know how American enthusiast frequently beg for imports that aren't sold in the States?
I wonder if there are Europeans or Japanese that beg NOT to have certain American models?

·
Registered
41,822 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (uncleho)

dunno, but there are plenty of people in other parts of the world that beg for Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs. A current gen 'stang goes for US$40000+ in Australia.
Lots of Japanese people sport Lexus LS400 badges on their Toyota Celsiors too...

·
Registered
7,321 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I have a few questions for those of you in Europe that have seen these cars:
http://www.chevroleteurope.com/english/model_lineup/alero/en_xx_index.htm
http://www.chevroleteurope.com/english/model_lineup/transsport/en_xx_index.htm
First of all, does anyone buy them? Are they consistent with the *look* of a Chevrolet? (Does the Alero over there really still have the Olds logo on it instead of a bowtie?) I'm trying to fathom in particular why GM sent the Trans Sport over as a Chevy instead of just sticking a different grille on the Venture:
[HR][/HR]​
I think the reason why the Trans Sport is still on sale here is because it is the only US GM car that was half way succesful, when the previous generation was sold officially here through Opel dealers. Opel didn´t have a minivan at that time, and the early GM minivans were rather popular as grey imports (when the DM was still stronger vs. the $), so they started importing it officially.
I don´t think it´s a bad idea branding them all as Chevrolets, because if you´re only selling a few hundred cars a year, you better concentrate on one brand.
I don´t how many cars GM Europe sells, since those run under "others" in the statistics here.
I´ve only seen one Alero (and yes it does still have the Oldsmobile logo) here so far, but you can pick them up for cheap.
Let´s say, I doubt it sell much better than a Neon, and Chrysler only sells 80 Neons a month here. The other Gm cars are a bit more popular (as in I´ve seen more than more), but those are still a pretty rare.
A friend of mine has a V6 Camaro and he likes it, because it´s so rare and he gets a lot of looks for it.
Cadillac is a different story, because it seems that they´re really trying now. They´re now sold through Saab dealers, and the Cadillac/Saab on the GM stand was rather prominent.
I think most people just don´t know about US GM cars, since there´s virtually no marketing for them.

[Modified by Eolair, 9:20 AM 12-4-2001]

·
Registered
22,318 Posts

I can only speak for Norway, I dont know how things are in Netherlands, Germany, Sweden etc.
quote:[HR][/HR]First of all, does anyone buy them?[HR][/HR]​
Very few. Cars are heavily taxed here, so these cars are rare. I see one Alero once every week or so.
quote:[HR][/HR]Are they consistent with the *look* of a Chevrolet?[HR][/HR]​
Well, Chevy are not the most popular brand in Europe, so they dont have a "look". This means that a Chevy can look about like anything, as they dont have to maintain a look here. I'd rather see they brought the Malibu over instead of the Alero, as it's a nicer car and it has a smaller engine which means that it ywould be cheaper.
quote:[HR][/HR](Does the Alero over there really still have the Olds logo on it instead of a bowtie?)[HR][/HR]​
Yessiree, it does. In addition, it says CHEVROLET in chromed letters across the trunk lid.
quote:[HR][/HR]I'm trying to fathom in particular why GM sent the Trans Sport over as a Chevy instead of just sticking a different grille on the Venture:
[HR][/HR]​
Who knows? They sold the Pontiac TransSport here earlier, so maybe they wanted to stick with the name? Or maybe the Pontiac plant is best setup for producing Euro-spec vehicles?
In addition, Norway is one of the few markets in Europe where you can buy Chevy trucks. The Silverado series and Tahoe series are very popular here, and Suburban, Blazer and S-10 are selling as well. Ford pushes some Excursions (I'd rather drive a Scania
), F-250/350 and Rangers, while the only trucks from Chrysler are a few grey-market Durango's and Ram pickups. Jeeps are popular though.

[Modified by PerL, 6:43 PM 12-4-2001]

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

I can only speak for the Toyota Cavalier which is a rebadged Chevrolet in Japan, however, some crazy dude privately imported to HK.
Since the dealer imported the Cavalier sedan for 6 months, no one ever acquired about this damn thing.

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (A4Jetta)

So they still leave the Olds badge on back and stick "Chevrolet" on there too? Wasn't the original styling goal of the Alero to fit in with the rest of the Olds lineup? Alero, Aurora, Intrigue all have that similar face. This just goes to show you that these GM 'brands' don't mean a damn thing. People are upset about the demise of the F-body. Well, who cares? There's no heritage anymore at GM just as there's no Easter Bunny. I bet there's some Saturn dealership in Bulgaria selling Camaros rebadged as the Saturn SC-5. It's one thing to do a Malibu/Calais, Camaro/Firebird, Alero/Regal/Grand Am type of deal, but this is just too much. It makes me laugh at these old brand loyalists who wont drive anything but a Buick or whatever. I wont get an Olds, I'm a Buick man. That brings 'lol' to a whole other level.
Sticking Chevy badges on an Alero, GM is the epitome of rice.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (DCS)

I don't think European care about an Oldsmobile emblem on the front while Chevrolet letters on the back. The Alero, TransSport, Trailblazer, Corvette and Camaro are just few American offerings that say "we got American cars sold in Europe even if no one brought them".

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (CanuckPal)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sticking Chevy badges on an Alero, GM is the epitome of rice.
Yeah, that's like VW putting Jetta badges on what is reallyt a Bora.

Or calling a curvy Golf a Beetle. Damn ricers.[HR][/HR]​
Or calling a Corolla AE86 and 240SX S13, so rice. hehe

·
Banned
6,574 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Sticking Chevy badges on an Alero, GM is the epitome of rice.
Yeah, that's like VW putting Jetta badges on what is reallyt a Bora.

Or calling a curvy Golf a Beetle. Damn ricers.[HR][/HR]​
Um........no because BOTH ARE VW's. If you want to make a comparison to try to shoot holes in my post that at least make sense for Christ's sake.
Here, let me do this for you. "Yeah, that's like SEAT putting a SEAT badge on what really is an NB.
It has nothing with platform sharing you dope. As I said earlier I'm not attacking THAT. What I was attacking is taking the SAME car bumper to bumper, NOT EVEN REMOVING THE OLDS BADGE and saying it's a Chevy. Hey maybe VW can take the Passat and glue an Audi badge next to the VW one and sell that here.
If your going to attempt to shoot holes in a thoery, point or statement at least take frigging aim.

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (DCS)

You know, after reading this thread again you really pissed me off. It's like you didn't even read anything. WTF is wrong with you people?

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,643 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (PerL)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd rather see they brought the Malibu over instead of the Alero, as it's a nicer car and it has a smaller engine which means that it ywould be cheaper.[HR][/HR]​
Why do you think the Malibu is nicer than the Alero?
The only thing it has over the Alero is size; the Alero is faster and dynamically superior, and I think most people would agree that it looks better as well. As for engine size...here you can get a 2.4-liter 4cyl as well as the V6. I assume you guys only get the V6 model?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Re: Chevrolet of Europe questions (David Votoupal)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, the rice industry is ready for spectacular expansion
[HR][/HR]​
This is the truth. Companies all over are looking to cash in on the rice trends, starting with the taillights. Chris V is probably probably biting his tongue right now.
As for the Alero & GM, GM made it and they can do whatever the frig they want with the badges. Put all the brands on there at once, and plaster the thing with stickers. They could call it the Chevrolet Pontiac Oldsmobile Buick Cadillac GMC Saturn Opel Saab Alero.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd rather see they brought the Malibu over instead of the Alero, as it's a nicer car and it has a smaller engine which means that it ywould be cheaper.
Why do you think the Malibu is nicer than the Alero?
The only thing it has over the Alero is size; the Alero is faster and dynamically superior, and I think most people would agree that it looks better as well. As for engine size...here you can get a 2.4-liter 4cyl as well as the V6. I assume you guys only get the V6 model?[HR][/HR]​
Nope, we get both.
IMHO, they could have sent over either car. Because the people that buy those A) Want a cheap car (OK, Advantage Alero, because it´s available with the four and therefor cheaper to run) or B) want an American car, because they liked the super equipment on their rental during their vacation in the US (and a friend of mine seriously considers an American car for said reason).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts